Commuter Choice - Boardman MX or Btwin rockrider 540

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
Hello,

Just another what bike thread! I have done some looking and narrowed it down to there two options (I'm open to other suggestions though)

I have £300~ to spend and need something for a 5-10 mile commute (each way) there are some tracks / slight off road so decided something with a front sus.

From what I can see, apart from the £30 is hydro rather then mech breaks on the btwin.

Anything I have missed?

Cheers for the help.

Ryan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
My first bit of advice would be to avoid the front suss. You wont need it for tracks/slight off road on a commute.

No offence but at £300 for the bike any suspension will be heavy and crap anyway.

vickster

Legendary Member
Look at the Carrera Subway, rugged, rigid forks

Joining British cycling will get you 10% off at halfords on top of most other promotions and other indispensable benefits imo for any cyclist, especially if riding on roads

OP
OP
RyanW

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
No offence taken. I know £300 is low but for a commuter that might get nicked its all I'm prepared to spend. I have 20kg of weight to loose so 2kg more on the bike isnt the worst thing ever.

I have two road bikes, so a hybrid seems a bit pointless, I might as well just stick some straight bars on one of them.

I'm after something that I can take out what ever the weather, over some of the stupid put holes we have round here, which is why I opted for a MB just so its a bit more forgiving.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Non sus MTBs are thin on the ground, esp at £300.
Ridgeback MX2 lacks disc brakes and rack eyelets. Their X1 is £500.

Top Bottom