An absolutely fair comparison and comment - HOWEVER, if I Were the vulnerable one ('motorcyclist') then my training is to ensure that as the vulnerable one, I can foresee and predict what idiots will do....
I sit in my 'tractor' (or Disco to friends) and can look at traffic and cars as a motorcyclist. One sees volumes more than I would ever hope to see as a driver.
It may be the driver's fault, but who gets hurt? It may be 50/50 - so equal blame - but who gets hurt?
It may be 10/90? But who might die?
Either we have to accept that there are idiots and 'plan' accordingly - never 100% safe - or take some risks?
I drive my car and someone will turn in to me - what do I do? I drive defensively - Mum feels 100% comfortable but the Mrs gets wound up like WVM.
It is hell out there but accidents do happenUnfortunately sometimes it involves a big thing and a small thing ....
The answer is TRAINING- on both sides!!!!! And both sides need to know that THEY ARE BOTH (being/AND) in need of training![]()
With respect, you're missing the point. If cyclists or pedestrians in any particular situation really want, or feel they need, training, then I would support their wishes. But there is an absolute responsibility on those operating dangerous vehicles to take whatever precautions are necessary to ensure that they don't kill anyone. This responsibility is shared between those who drive the vehicles and those who ask others to drive them - and it is not escapable by reference to the behaviour of those who are endangered.
Unfortunately sometimes it involves a big thing and a small thing ....