Commuter killed this morning, Victoria Street, London (8th April) - RIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Legendary Member
Whoaa-close. Absolutely feck all you can do about that:cursing: really crap driving.
 

Crankarm

Legendary Member
Location
Nr Cambridge
OMG. Gruesome. RIP the dead woman.

Some one's daughter, mum, sister, wife, girl friend, best friend.

Approx another 7 people will have been killed on the UK's roads today and countless others seriously injured.

The cops can still arrest the driver. They will hopefully still be collecting witness statements checking CCTV in the area, checking the vehicle and the driver.
 

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Location
Armonmy Way
Those LCC figures of:

5% of vehicles (HGV) involved in 50% of cyclist fatalities.
and 75% of those fatalities involved construction lorries.

I don't know what proportion of London HGVs are construction trade, certainly not 75%, but it does show where the problem lies. Sure, cyclists should do everything in their power to treat HGVs of all types with extreme care whenever they can but I wonder whether new cyclists can ever fully comprehend just how dangerous a vehicle can be but still be licensed to drive on roads for which they were definitely not designed and on which they kill disproportionately and with sickening regularity.
 
OP
OP
Buddfox

Buddfox

Guru
Location
London
Not sure a picture of the women's bike in the newspaper is appropriate:sad:

On the one hand I found it effective as a reminder that being in an accident rarely has the cyclist coming off best and to always be careful. On the other hand I was sad to thing of all those people who were considering starting to commute this year now the weather was improving who may now not - when fundamentally cycling is a safe mode of transport, by and large.
 
U

User6179

Guest
Those LCC figures of:

5% of vehicles (HGV) involved in 50% of cyclist fatalities.
and 75% of those fatalities involved construction lorries.

I don't know what proportion of London HGVs are construction trade, certainly not 75%, but it does show where the problem lies. Sure, cyclists should do everything in their power to treat HGVs of all types with extreme care whenever they can but I wonder whether new cyclists can ever fully comprehend just how dangerous a vehicle can be but still be licensed to drive on roads for which they were definitely not designed and on which they kill disproportionately and with sickening regularity.


I would be interested to know what percentage of theses hgv drivers are being paid by the mile rather than by the hour?

Always thought it was absolutely mental to pay hgv drivers by the load/mile !!

May be a coincidence that construction lorries are responsible for 75% of fatalities as they are more likely to be on price work but I doubt it!
 

400bhp

Legendary Member
Why not? Pictures of smashed cars damaged in collisions are commonplace. Why should the true effect of a lorry on a bicycle be hushed up?

I was thinking of it from her family's perspective, although I see your point.
 

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I would be interested to know what percentage of theses hgv drivers are being paid by the mile rather than by the hour?

Always thought it was absolutely mental to pay hgv drivers by the load/mile !!

May be a coincidence that construction lorries are responsible for 75% of fatalities as they are more likely to be on price work but I doubt it!
Tippers and Skip drivers are by far the worst of the close passes I have had. 40ft HGV's next then MPV on the school run. The latter are mostly left hooks rather than close passes. 4th is the punishment pass for holding them up.

The program Gaz took part in, when the tipper lorry company made an effort they reduced thier Cycle accident rate by quite a high margin, by fitting safety gear and training drivers. Why this not not compulsory is beyond belief. There has to be a way of making Lorries numpty proof.
 

PJ79LIZARD

Guru
Location
WEST MIDLANDS
Witnessed a lorry vs cyclist today, in that instance the cyclist was at fault and had a lucky escape only due to the fact the lorry driver had good awareness. There are too many of these accidents occurring, there are bad cyclists and bad drivers. We shouldn't be quick to reprimand either party when we don't know the full facts. Very sad news RIP.
 

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Location
South Croydon
the tipper lorry company made an effort they reduced thier Cycle accident rate by quite a high margin, by fitting safety gear and training drivers. Why this not not compulsory is beyond belief. There has to be a way of making Lorries numpty proof.
It's compulsory on new vehicles but not on old ones.
 

Slaav

Guru
Witnessed a lorry vs cyclist today, in that instance the cyclist was at fault and had a lucky escape only due to the fact the lorry driver had good awareness. There are too many of these accidents occurring, there are bad cyclists and bad drivers. We shouldn't be quick to reprimand either party when we don't know the full facts. Very sad news RIP.

This post sums up my 'normal' reaction to stuff like a picture of a 'commuter bike' on the deck. Be it a Raodie or worse, a 'shopper'.

Now, whilst I know nothing of the facts in this incident, one of my bug bears is TRAINING - on both sides.

I have stated on many threads that riding my motorbike - and the training I got by joining this twisted club late - gave me one hell of a training regime and instilled some brilliant habits.

EVERY 'proper' motorcyclist knows what a 'Life Saver' is - not rocket science.

How many cyclists know what it is instinctively? - It was driven in to me in road craft. I still use this stuff driving my car - let alone my bike.

Let's not pick on drivers alone here - although I appreciate that the facts in this terrible circumstance may be complete apposite to this post.

It will always be tragic and awful - regardless of blame etc.
 

Slaav

Guru
I'm all for training, but let's not promote a false equivalence. One party is operating a vehicle that presents an extraordinary danger to others. The other is not.
An absolutely fair comparison and comment - HOWEVER, if I Were the vulnerable one ('motorcyclist') then my training is to ensure that as the vulnerable one, I can foresee and predict what idiots will do....

I sit in my 'tractor' (or Disco to friends) and can look at traffic and cars as a motorcyclist. One sees volumes more than I would ever hope to see as a driver.

It may be the driver's fault, but who gets hurt? It may be 50/50 - so equal blame - but who gets hurt?

It may be 10/90? But who might die?

Either we have to accept that there are idiots and 'plan' accordingly - never 100% safe - or take some risks?

I drive my car and someone will turn in to me - what do I do? I drive defensively - Mum feels 100% comfortable but the Mrs gets wound up like WVM.

It is hell out there but accidents do happen :sad: Unfortunately sometimes it involves a big thing and a small thing ....

The answer is TRAINING- on both sides!!!!! And both sides need to know that THEY ARE BOTH (being/AND) in need of training :smile:
 
Top Bottom