Commuting 17 miles each way on a brompton...foolhardy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This would be a mixture of road, cycle path (well glass and thorn strewn path) and maybe some canal work.

Its basically so I can get into work and then get the train back, half way to home if I get caught out or feel too tired or lazy to ride back.

I am guessing that would be twice a week and the rest of the time use the main bike.

I am just not sure how well it would cope with that distance twice a week and in rubbish weather as its only for winter, as I seem to be struggling to get going all the way home especially 3/4 times a week.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
it'll take it easily in its stride.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Piece of cake. A Brompton is well suited to long-distance riding, and is robust enough to cope with the all but the roughest of paths.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
You'll be fine @Fab Foodie does a shed load of miles on his I believe.
It's perfect for that usage.
Most I've done is 87 miles in one go and a 60 mile each way fully loaded camping weekend, L2B etc and it's no big deal.
OK, other bikes might be a tad faster, but the Brompton accelerates like a scolded cat and is far more nimble than a regular bike. The big benefit is being able to take it on a train however and general ease of transporting.
It copes well with rougher surfaces too and is pretty grin-inducing all-round.
What model are you considering? If it's winter use go for Marathon tyres and mudguards and if the budget stretches the SON dynamo set-up is brill.

chris folder

Ok but if mud about or leafs will bug the back mudguard up and wheel will lock up you will have to find a stick to clean mudguards out. Dahons are much better on grass

buggi

Bird Saviour
Done guy overtook me on a Brompton!! They are well nippy!! You should be fine

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Just treat the puddles with a degree oof caution, just in case they swallow a wheel. I used to commute 13 miles each way on mine, and I've done 100+km days on all the B's I've owned,

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
IME Bromptons riding better than Dahons. They also fold smaller, so buy a Brommie.

(Declaration of interest. My Bromptons spent the evening as a guest of the Ritz, and I explained to a senior manager of one of our largest insurance companies why it was a perfect bike for London.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Quite a few 200km audaxs' on a B. My advice is to enjoy the ride rather than set records. Sounds daft, but just chill take a few minutes more than a full size bike - better for the bike and better for your frustration levels.
Bs' are fun but not fast.

PaulM

Guru
Ok, I had a CroMo Dahon Speed 7 and a Brompton S3L-X. The Dahon was quicker, more stable, more comfortable and was better geared. I sold it for £120 and upgraded my Brompton with the Kinetics 8-speed SA hub kit. I still think the Dahon was a nicer bike to ride, but for bus and tube travel the Brommie folds smaller. I know which I would rather ride a 17 mile each way commute on.

Top Bottom