Commuting bike - Hybrid or Road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jasonht

These two are my strongest contenders so far but looking at the non flat bar version its basically the same construction which makes me wonder if theres any point in the flat bar. Also being very overweight i need to check weight restrictions - should have mentioned this sooner so bigger tyres may be better. Most bikes seem to be within my limit however when i emailed decathlon they said the frame is only rated to 15.5 stone which is quite light considering most frames go much higher? I think this was just the rc520 so im querying on the RC500 flat bar.

I tried going to a independent shop today but they seemed to have mostly older stock or expensive bikes, they showed me a Giant Rapid 2 2018 which was nice but basically reminded me of the Triban 500.

Im pretty set on no suspension as per advice and would rather go more road than mtb side of the hybrid. I think from trying drop bar im not against it but equally knowing my commute i wont do it justice. Im trying to just get as road-y flat bar as possible that suits me.

These two are my strongest contenders so far but looking at the non flat bar version its basically the same construction which makes me wonder if theres any point in the flat bar. Also being very overweight i need to check weight restrictions - should have mentioned this sooner so bigger tyres may be better. Most bikes seem to be within my limit however when i emailed decathlon they said the frame is only rated to 15.5 stone which is quite light considering most frames go much higher? I think this was just the rc520 so im querying on the RC500 flat bar.

I tried going to a independent shop today but they seemed to have mostly older stock or expensive bikes, they showed me a Giant Rapid 2 2018 which was nice but basically reminded me of the Triban 500.

Im pretty set on no suspension as per advice and would rather go more road than mtb side of the hybrid. I think from trying drop bar im not against it but equally knowing my commute i wont do it justice. Im trying to just get as road-y flat bar as possible that suits me.

Forget the flat bar, it’s going to limit your riding position too much. As far as weight goes, they are rated for 150+ Kgs, so unless you’re the weight of a small moon, they’ll take the weight, no problem. You may have some slight issues with the spokes on the supplied wheels, if you’re towards the top end of the weight window, but that’s not uncommon, and you’d have that issue without going for high hole count handbuilt wheels anyway.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I think you should look for a bike that is as comfortable as possible and as reliable as possible.
You'll need decent lights (dynamo hub?), puncture resistant tyres, rack for a pannier, probably mudguards and depending on your location/facilities a decent lock or locks.
If you want to use it in a more utility way such as shopping, decent panniers will be useful as will an old looking second hand frame.
You don't need to spend a lot of money. I'd suggest buying something second hand, getting through the winter and next year splash the cash when you know more about what you like.

I've commuted for a couple of years (40+km) on an old MTB that cost me 30 quid.

I'd suggest sourcing something like this on the secondhand steel market :-

Pioneer Jaguar Offside (2).jpg

£25 plus the cost of a pair of new 38mm Schwalbe Marathons that were on special offer online. The original 1997 factory-fitted tyres are still rideable, just not puncture-protected. Total outlay under £60 including pump & bottle. I actually consider it too good to use as a hack bike, I've got ultra-cheap scruffy ones for that....

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd suggest sourcing something like this on the secondhand steel market :-

View attachment 479500

£25 plus the cost of a pair of new 38mm Schwalbe Marathons that were on special offer online. The original 1997 factory-fitted tyres are still rideable, just not puncture-protected. Total outlay under £60 including pump & bottle. I actually consider it too good to use as a hack bike, I've got ultra-cheap scruffy ones for that....
TBH John I'm quite jealous of that, if I didn't have this.

DSCN0073.JPG

I'd be really jealous.

Smudge

Veteran
It is a mid 90s frame I was given 20+yrs ago, I built it up into this spec.

The decal on the TT is exactly the same design as on mine, but i cant remember which model i had. I had a lot of use out of it and it seemed pretty tough and reliable as i never had any problems with it

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Forget the flat bar, it’s going to limit your riding position too much.
This is bollocks, and gets spouted by RR and some others at regular intervals, we have 'discussed' it before :rolleyes:.

Flat bars with some stubby bar ends give all the positions you need. Everybody is different and it frustrates me how 'proper' cyclists continually try to persuade everyone that drop bars are the one true way. It is much more important to be comfortable and confident on your bike, so choose what suits you best.
I have two bikes with drop bars, but these are both flared drop bars. I found I don't like traditional dropped bars and when using them only ride on the tops or the hoods, never on the drops. With a flared bar i spend over 50-60% of the time riding on the drops. My (now deceased) hybrid and my mountain bike are both comfortable and capable urban commuters and long distance mile munchers.

Choose wisely!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The decal on the TT is exactly the same design as on mine, but i cant remember which model i had. I had a lot of use out of it and it seemed pretty tough and reliable as i never had any problems with it
It's a 502 'Adventure' with a Tange CrMo steel frame, if I was forced to only have 1 bike this would be the one. Maybe. :laugh:

Jeez I'd hate to have just one bike :sad:

Smudge

Veteran
It's a 502 'Adventure' with a Tange CrMo steel frame, if I was forced to only have 1 bike this would be the one. Maybe. :laugh:

Jeez I'd hate to have just one bike :sad:

Mine may have been the same frame, certainly looks like it, but for the life of me i can't remember.
As for having 'just one bike'....... well that's madness isn't it..... i'm constantly deliberating about adding a 5th.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
TBH John I'm quite jealous of that if I didn't have this.
I'd be really jealous.

The ironic thing it was an unintentional purchase, originally destined for a bike-wrecking friend. I kept it because it was in too good condition for him to trash.

Those Ridgebacks have often caught my eye for the right reasons - the steel ones I mean, not so impressed with the modern alloy versions. I know @Blue Hills has a liking for them. The late 80's and 90's were a golden era for sturdy sensible hybrids and commutable rigid MTBs. Raleigh had the various qualities of Pioneers, plus the lesser known Geminis with their nice 531 touring geometry frames. Trek offered quality cro-moly steel hybrids like the 720's. Falcon made the Explorer with a lugged Reynolds 500 frame, and Dawes produced various "street" models up to 531 with quality mechanicals. There's some pretty decent stuff still out there if you know what to look for and can be patient and bide your time to snap up the bargains. I wouldn't swap any of my old steel ones for the stuff being made now.

Mine may have been the same frame, certainly looks like it, but for the life of me i can't remember.
As for having 'just one bike'....... well that's madness isn't it..... i'm constantly deliberating about adding a 5th.
I have approaching ten :smile: in various stages of development in 3 separate places. Least ridden one is the most expensive.
Up early, off out on the ridgeback later with some folks on a dayride. A mechanic on a recent Dr bike pondered whether it was a bit of a frankenbike :smile:

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I have approaching ten :smile: in various stages of development in 3 separate places. Least ridden one is the most expensive. :smile:

I have ..... a few of them myself. Same story here, most used one owes me a Tenner. Least used one still wasn't expensive used, but would have been pricey new. Mileage ridden per bike tends to reflect ready-to-hand practicaity and minimal theft risk. There's always a hack at hand outside ready to be casually used, to ride a "good" one I have to go and get it out and faff around.

Top Bottom