Commuting daily on a bike - what are you main problems / biggest bug bearers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
self-gratification artists on bikes jumping red lights. they really p*** me off.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The absolutely shocking state of most tarmac in London.
People wandering across pelicans when their light is on red. Once one goes, they all start crossing like lemmings.

Recently drivers with trailers or driving work vehicles that are longer than their own.
Their thoughtlessness pulling in too early after passing me has gave me some heart stopping moments.

But what really frustrates me is that there are drivers who don't see me as another human being made of flesh and bone. I did think of having sublimation print done on the back of my jacket reading, 'Mavis, not effin cyclist', but My John said no because some idiot would knock me off my bike trying to read it.

Rant over, away to organise kit for my what looks like a very chilly commute in the morning. BBBRRRRR!!!!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Nice one Pat I think this year I may just invest in some of those myself, but must admit last year we only had a "snow" problem for a couple of days itwill be differnet for you up your end lol.
I use them when I'm expecting ice, I only used them a few times as it was fairly mild, but I've used them more in other years.
Rarely snows here in Glasgow, plenty of ice though.
Last winter was quite mild, so I didn't use my ice bike often, the year before was :cold: it got used a lot.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Waking up early enough in the morning - maybe you could design a more effective alarm clock :biggrin:

ChrisEyles

Guru
Pet hate number one is when drivers seem to assume you will be pootling along at 10-12mph and pull out on you accordingly...
Number two is cycle lanes being full of leaves/gravel/glass/etc and feeling (and being made to feel, often rather vocally) obliged to use them.
Number three is a lack of anywhere that feels properly safe to lock the bike up when in town.
Over bright car/bike lights are also a problem on unlit roads, as others have noted.

Still beats the hell out of driving in though :smile:

andyfraser

Über Member
I had an incident tonight that may have resulted because two drivers didn't realise how fast I was going. I was doing over 25 mph when the came passed one after the other. They were so keen to get around me that they caused a driver coming the other way to stop. All they had to do was wait a few seconds.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
my big bugbear is bad road design, My council are brilliant at it, pinch points that serve no purpose yards from a TL pedestrian crossing, huge concrete islands built up in the middle of the road that make in impossible for a large vehicle to pass you with even the minimum recommended distance. cycle lanes (that I ignore) at roundabouts that take you off the road and through half a dozen sets of crossing lights mixing it in with the pedestrians in quite limited and undifferentiated space rather than leaving you on the road to take the direct route and not making you make the choice of doing the right thing by others & getting off and walking or being a bike knob and bullying your way through the foot traffic.

+1 to @ianrauk's beef with the pillocks that seem to think the give way line from a side road is where their steering wheel should be in line with.

people on foot who do similar and seem to think that the appropriate place to stop and begin to look for traffic coming is 3 feet into the carriageway without having given a nanoseconds thought to looking right before blithely stepping off the kerb.

Drago

Legendary Member
A load of pinch points were recently remove by Milton Keynes Borough Carncil cos they had caused the accident rate to rise.

Much a It's naughty I guess speeding in a straight line is safer than bringing opposing traffic streams head on into one another..

Top Bottom