Commuting in 0 degrees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Humidity and drainage or important expects. Cold and dry it can be perfectly fine and ice free. Knowing your commute is critical here. If it’s a regular one you’ll know the spots that’ll need more care and other spots that rarely ever see ice.

Glad I 2nd checked the BBC yesterday. According to their forecast it was going to be minus temperatures in the morning and torrential at night, when I heard that I thought I'd give it a miss. I've commuted in worse but my post chemo fingers are a bit sensitive to the cold just now (un fortunately that the only thing they are sensitive to). I checked the met and it was going to be 1-3deg in the morning and light rain at night and that's what we got and it turns out that it has been the only day this week when the wind has been decent.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So ice then?
Looks like water, which on a cold day or after a cold snap can freeze. So not really magical, unexpected or invisible. The way people talk about it you'd think it was.
No, normal ice looks white-ish, unlike black ice:
312px-An_ice_core_segment.jpg

12boy

Guru
Even though the ice layer is very thin it is as slippery as any other, and unless the light shines at a low angle to make for glare it is invisible. People hit the ice and slide. The speed limit on the interstate is 80 mph ( which means 85) and hitting black ice on a curve can ruin your whole day if not the few minutes that are the rest of your life. Maybe mine, too, if I am next to the slider.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I ride all year even well into the minus figures. Its when we get snow or ice on the roads that I leave the bike at home for a while. There has only been a couple of days this winter though.

If you wear the right kit, you warm up within 10 minutes. I pretty much know exactly where my radiator is going to kick in ^_^

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Glad I 2nd checked the BBC yesterday. According to their forecast it was going to be minus temperatures in the morning and torrential at night, when I heard that I thought I'd give it a miss. I've commuted in worse but my post chemo fingers are a bit sensitive to the cold just now (un fortunately that the only thing they are sensitive to). I checked the met and it was going to be 1-3deg in the morning and light rain at night and that's what we got and it turns out that it has been the only day this week when the wind has been decent.
big hugs mate
I know i dont have chemo fingers but my reynauds is well documented, i can be sweating and my hands and feet can be like ice even with full winter gear.Last two days i have got home and even though i have been lathered my fingers can be white right down to the hand joint .

Top Bottom