Commuting in 0 degrees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
I used to ride all the time in frosty conditions - since I go out at 4:30am most mornings for two hour rides, in winter there is nothing else but cold, dark and frost. One morning I encountered a bit of black ice on a roundabout - and believe me, no amount of athleticism, balancing or bike handling skills will save you in such circumstances; you're down before you even know it. That was more than five years ago and the tendons in my right shoulder still aren't right. I swore I've never go out riding below 0ºC again and for years I avoided it. This past year, however, I have been working on a photographic project to shoot my morning rides in a series of cycling landscapes. I really wanted some frosty shots on the lanes and so one morning, when it was -4ºC and a heavy frost was on the ground I went out, heart in mouth and with a few grand in camera gear on my back. I knew where I wanted to take my shot and it was nearly a two-hour ride away on hilly, winding, narrow country lanes that were bound to be icy. I got there in good order, took my shots, and made it back home, feeling very lucky and not quite so keen on chancing my luck again. Here is one of the images:

I swore I've never go out riding below 0ºC
Yes, it's quite normal to be gung ho about it, until it happens to you and reservations start creeping in! Some might be surprised to learn air temperate isn't indicative of ground surface temperatures. Ice, once formed doesn't melt until it warms to 3 degrees, that is unless it's under pressure of car tyres etc. It's quite likely to remain unmelted, even when the air temperature is ~4-5 degrees, although the time since sunrise, and therefore the amount of light from the sun and exposure to radiant energy, the wind, etc all have an effect on it's propensity to thaw. Now I won't actually cycle if it dipped below 0 overnight, and it's <=4 degrees in the morning, unless there has been heavy cloud cover overnight which will have prevented frost. I'm a big wimp, I know. If I could rely on my entire route being gritted, I might be more relaxed about it. It's no big deal, I just take a coffee stuffed thermoflask and a good book on the bus. If it's warmer in the morning, but 0 for the return journey, I'll chance it so long as there is no standing water or rain forecast.

Great photo by the way

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I suspect they had shorter journeys (reduces the risk) and still fell off a fair bit - but there weren't as many cars to squash them when they did. I'm not sure how a sit-up-and-beg roadster handles on ice compared to a more aggressive geometry, but it may be more possible to recover from a slide.

I suspect they had shorter journeys (reduces the risk) and still fell off a fair bit - but there weren't as many cars to squash them when they did. I'm not sure how a sit-up-and-beg roadster handles on ice compared to a more aggressive geometry, but it may be more possible to recover from a slide.

Also, from experience on the Bakfiets you generally ride slower, and you can can hop off if there's really a problem because of the low frame.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Minus 1 for my ride to work ,cycle ways so not gritted.
I love frosty ,clear bright mornings,though it's dark at 7am...
My lobster gloves were lovely
I am on a 21kg levo E-bike so just plough on...

2.6 tyres with 20psi also helps

united4ever

Über Member
I can usually start work at 10am so leaving around 9am the worst has often melted if it was just hovering around 0 degrees overnight But have to get my sensible bead on sometimes and work from home which is enjoy much less. I would say it is less than 10 days a year I don't commute due to weather reasons. South Manchester, is fairly mild compared to a lot of areas just 20 miles away.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Would you cycle in 0 degrees for 17 miles?
Yes, I would, well, I actually have, many times.
Like @Slick up thread says, last year there was a day in Glasgow at -8C.
Of course, I used my bike with studded ice tyres.
Between the heavy ride and the extra layers, I don't get cold if I keep going.

Ice is the issue - I have a MTB with ice spiker tyres for if it's proper icy. Problem I find is judging when it's needed - I've found sometimes I set off then wish I had it, and vice-versa.
Same here.
On setting off, I use the bird bath as a gauge, if it's frozen, it's an ice bike day.
Of course, if you commute, time to ride home the temperature might have risen, the ice gone.
Extra calories burned by humphing the heavy studded tyres :laugh:

boydj

Legendary Member
In eight years of commuting to work I only missed a few days when either it was very windy or there was thick snow on the ground. I had to walk up the hill out of my cul-de-sac a few times, but it was only 50 metres or so to the main road, which was a bus route and therefore gritted. On very cold mornings I'd have foil between my shoes and overshoes in an effort to keep my toes warm. Good quality outer clothes, an extra layer underneath, and gloves did the rest.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another yes vote here. When I was doing a regular rural lane cycle commute (10 to 12 miles each way, 18 if I took the scenic route) I invested in some spiked tyres and they've been great. You still need to take a bit of care (avoiding harsh braking, racing into corners and extreme road cambers) but in general they let you ride at near normal speeds on surfaces it would be tricky to stand up on.

Mine got a good workout yesterday on a frosty century ride. I don't think I'd want to do that very often as they are quite draggy but it shows it's possible.^_^

Top Bottom