Commuting in 0 degrees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At this time of the year it’s not unusual for my 20 mile commute to be done in the dark and in -6 or colder, at 5 in the morning. Stay on main routes, that have been treated / gritted, get good lights, be aware that there may be ice on minor roads you turn on to, slow down, keep your eyes peeled. Leave more time / space to stop than you normally would. The extra risks can’t be eliminated, unless you don’t ride at all, but you can minimise them by getting the right kit, and riding according to the prevailing conditions. Keep an eye on the local weather forecasts, to give you a decent idea of what you might be up against on a particular day.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think wrapping up warm in non-skintight fluffy stuff makes it hurt less if you do end up hitting the floor. Still can be expensive and annoying to rip clothes, of course.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've been doing pretty much the same commute for the best part of ten years and know where the ice is most likely to form... I just take it slow and steady over those sections and carry on as normal the rest of the way.

The only time i've been caught out was when the north west was hit with freezing rain... came off a few times that morning, but everyone, peds and cyclists were falling on their arses. It was almost comical.

Reactions: C R

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I've been doing pretty much the same commute for the best part of ten years and know where the ice is most likely to form... I just take it slow and steady over those sections and carry on as normal the rest of the way.

The only time i've been caught out was when the north west was hit with freezing rain... came off a few times that morning, but everyone, peds and cyclists were falling on their arses. It was almost comical.

I had an oncoming impatient driver force me to move to my left onto a sheet of ice in a passing place which I knew full well was there. When I crashed onto the hard road I was less than friendly when he wound down his window to enquire after my wellbeing !

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Temperature isn't as important if it's bone-dry - just your feet and hands to keep warm! Below about 5 deg C I wear a second Buff over my face, as well as the one round my neck. I don't wear a helmet so I can wear a thick fleecy hat (I'm not sure what helmet-wearers do).

However - the air has been damp the last few nights, Friday's rain didn't quite dry up, and there are patches of ice and accumulated frost about. I walked a few bits between salted roads this morning. A friend came off on a patch of frost. It's likely to be the same tomorrow. Look up your council's gritting routes and stick to them. Avoid cyclepaths unless they are completely dry - they absolutely will not be treated.

A fixie has benefits in these conditions - it gives you a really wimpy non-snatching brake!

My word, it's a good job I didn't realise all this a couple of weeks back:

On the way to Tübingen, temperature -3°c .

Or on the way to college this time last year. Admittedly with snow spikes on that occasion:

snow_2019_01_25.jpg

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I read recently that two councils treat cycleways. I don't remember which two and Norfolk isn't one.
they do tend to half heatedly grit the old railway/shared use path between Lancaster and Morecambe on occasion... not sure about the Lancaster to Caton path as i don't use that often

Top Bottom