Commuting lights for unlit country roads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, my Smart Lunar 15 LUX Bike Light is absolutely rubbish on unlit roads - in fact I'd even go so far as to say they probably wouldn't be adequate for riding on street-lit roads :sad:

I need a new, bright front and rear light pronto!

I was looking at Fluxient 1000 Lumen XM-L T6 or Fluxient 1000 Lumen 3x Cree XPE Q5

What are people's views on these (i.e. which one should I go for?)

Hope the secon ones OK as I've just ordered it. Last one too from the link you provided, so if you hadn't already ordered, sorry. But at least I've helped you make up your mind. Guy has another one for sale too here. His website has some comparisons between the cheaper and branded lights.

Hmmm, actually the alternative might have been better for my route as it has multi modes.

cloggsy

Boardmanist
Hope the secon ones OK as I've just ordered it. Last one too from the link you provided, so if you hadn't already ordered, sorry. But at least I've helped you make up your mind. Guy has another one for sale too here. His website has some comparisons between the cheaper and branded lights.

Hmmm, actually the alternative might have been better for my route as it has multi modes.

I have 'asked him a question' through eBay; he stated (which is very honest of him,) he prefers the metal mounting bracket of the second one, to the first one (and the one you listed.) It's just a personal preference, but he doesn't like the rubber 'O' ring-type fasteners on the other two lights...

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
Got my T6 front light from deal extreame this morning. Took just short of 6 weeks to arrive and cost £29.41. I am really pleased with it. Used it tonight on the way home on the unlit section of my commute and it does the job nicely. I will admit it would be far too bright for use in traffic.

regards

I have 'asked him a question' through eBay; he stated (which is very honest of him,) he prefers the metal mounting bracket of the second one, to the first one (and the one you listed.) It's just a personal preference, but he doesn't like the rubber 'O' ring-type fasteners on the other two lights...

Fair point, and a decent looking bracket did sway me towards the Fluxient. My route is a bit rough in places and the tarmac chippings are quite large giving a fair bit of vibration even where there aren't any potholes.

Guy seems quite genuine in selling only what he believes to be decent kit. Light was despatched yesterday after ordering the night before so I may even get it today.

As an aside, just how good/poor are the rubber ring mounts? The Knog Frogs I've used as back-ups (handy to drop in a pocket or wrap around the mini pump) are ok but they are a much smaller light.

Crankarm

Guru
Exposure Max D is like riding with a motorcycle light on full beam. Two would be even better :tongue: . Costs a lot more than a Magic Shine but it will last, that is why a lot of MTBers use them for off road night riding.

Got my T6 front light from deal extreame this morning. Took just short of 6 weeks to arrive and cost £29.41. I am really pleased with it. Used it tonight on the way home on the unlit section of my commute and it does the job nicely. I will admit it would be far too bright for use in traffic.

regards

Woo Hoo! There is hope, 3 weeks for me so far.....

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
was thinking the same :smile: keep chopping and changing my mind about it :smile: shall show some patience for now, coming up for 4 weeks since ordering!

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
was thinking the same :smile: keep chopping and changing my mind about it :smile: shall show some patience for now, coming up for 4 weeks since ordering!

I decided a week and a half ago just to leave the order there, and forget about it. It's an additional light so it's not something I can't live without just now, and when it DOES eventually get posted out it'll be a pleasant surprise!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Right. On 7 November I got pissed off waiting for DX to post my UK warehouse T6, so in a flurry of email exchanges I told them to cancel the order and send me one from HK. It has finally changed to "despatched" today. They reckon another 2 weeks. Anyone go the number to report "longest ever wait for an item that is in stock" to the Guinness Book of Records?

Thing is I know how bloody good it is as I've already got one, so I'm happy to wait.

By the way, I have discovered that my Bikemate (Aldi) wired computer suffers interference from both the T6 emitter in the new light, and today I discovered it doesn't like the P7 SSC on the Magicshine either (the 3w Cree "mouse-ears"on the side don't affect it) . As an experiment I taped a Tesco Micro Led onto the bars next to the computer, and that knacks it on strobe setting as well!

Crankarm

Guru
Right. On 7 November I got pissed off waiting for DX to post my UK warehouse T6, so in a flurry of email exchanges I told them to cancel the order and send me one from HK. It has finally changed to "despatched" today. They reckon another 2 weeks. Anyone go the number to report "longest ever wait for an item that is in stock" to the Guinness Book of Records?

Thing is I know how bloody good it is as I've already got one, so I'm happy to wait.

By the way, I have discovered that my Bikemate (Aldi) wired computer suffers interference from both the T6 emitter in the new light, and today I discovered it doesn't like the P7 SSC on the Magicshine either (the 3w Cree "mouse-ears"on the side don't affect it) . As an experiment I taped a Tesco Micro Led onto the bars next to the computer, and that knacks it on strobe setting as well!

I reckon the front of your bike will look like the front of Sting's Vespa in Quadrophenia with all the lights you'll have on it ;) . The combined lights will be soooo bright you won't need studded tryes when it is icy as the lights will melt any ice and snow, and probably the tarmac as well :ohmy: .

sting.jpg

Only kidding, but am I ? ............. Yes I am.

Reactions: Cal

Bicycle

Back in the day (Noah, floods, two of every species) I had a rechargeable wet-cell battery that hung from my frame and powered a pair of lights (10w and 2.5w from memory?).

I used this for commutes down Gloucestershire A-roads on pitch-dark unlit nights. The biggun was super-bright and the littlun was OK.

The set-up was heavy, charging was tedious and I couldn't do a whole day's commute (2hrs 20 mins) on the big lamp.

I now use a pair of Cateye LEDs at the rear and a pair at the front. I also wear bright clothing, but none that is reflective.

No-one has killed me yet.

Top Bottom