Commuting lights for unlit country roads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
Back in the day (Noah, floods, two of every species) I had a rechargeable wet-cell battery that hung from my frame and powered a pair of lights (10w and 2.5w from memory?).

I still have one of these lights, Im sure it's a Smart light. Cost me £35 about 8yrs ago and it still charges up and works. I use it in the garage for a courtesy light when putting the bike away after work.

regards

peelywally

ive started using a magicshine p7 :wub: and its amazing on dark roads i used to limp along within field of vision

i am now cycling for the first time on unlit roads at daytime speed, it lights the entire road up car headlights appear yellow and dull by comparison ,

the pics and videos on youtube simply dont do these things justice , strobe is a bit fast low power setting would be absolutely fine for average riding conditions and its weatherproof i have sealed the battery inside a plastic bag though as the casing doesnt look that weathertight .

battery sits under my cross bar barely visible ,lots of cable to hide though but might look at mounting battery further back out of the way but for time being its fine and tidy looking ,

lamp is attached via an o ring i put a sleeve of old innertube under it so it wouldnt slip and its solid on the bars with a push i can dip it or raise it as needed .

build quality flawless id say has that bomb proof feel to it all metal casing strong cables strong webbing for battery case battery pack depends on this case i think as it looks shrink wrapped in plastic ,

comes in nice box instructions are a let down thank god its a torch with one button :rolleyes:

nothing left to say except

now i want one for my helmet :thumbsup:

ps included in pack is helmet mount and headlamp kit

gentlegreen

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jpbTKqi-7c[/media]

Miscellaneous assortment of domestic LED lighting - about £40 for the lamps, £24 for the rechargeable battery, £12 for the charger - plus switches, jubilee clips and various recycled food containers etc.

16 watts total - so perhaps equivalent to 64 watts of quartz halogen.
Rear light is about 4 watts.

Battery in theory about 40 watt hours, so I would get less than 2 hours if I used all the lamps all through my journey, but total daily travel time is under 1 hour and I carry a spare battery.

I get about 3 winters from a battery.

I probably ought in the future to focus on redundancy - two sets of lights, two supplies ...or a very reliable automatic backup system.

As for waterproofing, I just make sure there's a way for the water to exit.

If I wanted to buy commercial lights, about the only front lights that impress me are those made by B&M and Philips - but they aren't cheap ...

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
those XML T6 bike lights are apparently out of stock, trying to ascertain if its just the UK or HK as well. You would think they would just ship from HK? I mean its only been 5 weeks now??

Been in touch with DX and got my order changed to ship from HK, the UK warehouse has zero stock it would seem and since they come from HK anyway its going to be a long wait! So order changed!

Ravelin

I ordered one of the 1200 Lumen XML-T6 from DealExtreme on 27th Oct. Just checked the status and as expected it's still 'Packing'. If however you link through to the item itself it's no longer listed as out of stock as it has been for the last couple of weeks. Now I'm not holding my breath, especially as it was supposedly 'in stock' when I ordered (and for a while after) but maybe they've finally got a shipment from China to the UK.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I ordered one of the 1200 Lumen XML-T6 from DealExtreme on 27th Oct. Just checked the status and as expected it's still 'Packing'. If however you link through to the item itself it's no longer listed as out of stock as it has been for the last couple of weeks. Now I'm not holding my breath, especially as it was supposedly 'in stock' when I ordered (and for a while after) but maybe they've finally got a shipment from China to the UK.

don't get your hopes up it switches back and forward from packing to waiting on supplier. I just asked them to change it to ship from HK, knowing my luck they will start shipping from UK warehouse now!!

Ravelin

don't get your hopes up it switches back and forward from packing to waiting on supplier. I just asked them to change it to ship from HK, knowing my luck they will start shipping from UK warehouse now!!

Ah, but the status of my order has stayed at 'Packing' from day one, never seen it change. No two orders probably behave the same though. :rolleyes:

What I was saying was that in the page for the item itself, it was showing out of stock for a while, but is no longer. The question then is, does that actually mean anything, especially since a lot of us ordered it when it was saying it was in stock but obviously wasn't.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
thats the whole point where at all does it say on DX these items are in stock, they aint Amazon!!

Ravelin

thats the whole point where at all does it say on DX these items are in stock, they aint Amazon!!
Well they do eventually remove the "Add to basket" button and add "Item temporarily out of stock" under the overview section. They just ain't very good at doing it quickly or accurately enough!

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler

I contacted them yesterday and they're now going to send mine by 'China Post' as it's in stock in HK, but still not (since 16th October) on the UK site.

Let's see if they actually remember to change my order & send it from there now!

Cubist

Still wavin'
I contacted them yesterday and they're now going to send mine by 'China Post' as it's in stock in HK, but still not (since 16th October) on the UK site.

Let's see if they actually remember to change my order & send it from there now!

Took them about a week to change my order and send from HK. They emailed me when they did it.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I reckon the front of your bike will look like the front of Sting's Vespa in Quadrophenia with all the lights you'll have on it ;) . The combined lights will be soooo bright you won't need studded tryes when it is icy as the lights will melt any ice and snow, and probably the tarmac as well :ohmy: .

sting.jpg

Only kidding, but am I ? ............. Yes I am.

004.jpg

From left
Tesco 3w Cree, Shite ebay 5W (as if!) Tesco Micro LED, T6 XML, Magicshine 816, Magicshine P7 clone, Aldi 3W Cree.

Top Bottom