Commuting lights for unlit country roads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I find the Magicshines are over kill for normal "lit" cycling , mine is used for the unlit country lanes on my commute , the lower setting is fine for normal roads but i use a AAA powered cree torch for those parts of my ride.

other drivers may complain about the brightness of the light but i think they are used to seeing bikes with lights that are basically rubbish , i did a google and a car headlamp comes in at around 800 lumens dipped and we know that the magicshine in reality gives out about 600 lumens .Of course my light is bright if you look right at it as would a car light if i gaze right into it as well.

Downward

Guru
I am waiting for an Ultrafire SSC P7 900 lumen to be delivered. Not quite dark enough at the moment in the morning but the nights are going to be the issue in a couple of weeks.

plainlazy

Über Member
I'm currently using Two of the much debated Tesco 3w cree lights. One on my bike and the other on my skid lid ( i was going to say helmet but it just did'nt sound right).
All of my 12 mile commute is either on unlit country roads or bridleway and i fine that cars dip their lights and some even pull over to let me pass.
Can't go wrong for the £16 i paid for them. Though i'm not sure if you can still get them ?

Cubist

Still wavin'
I'm currently using Two of the much debated Tesco 3w cree lights. One on my bike and the other on my skid lid ( i was going to say helmet but it just did'nt sound right).
All of my 12 mile commute is either on unlit country roads or bridleway and i fine that cars dip their lights and some even pull over to let me pass.
Can't go wrong for the £16 i paid for them. Though i'm not sure if you can still get them ?

Not for about two years now.

cyberknight

Or it could be a case of laser beam straight in the eye.

As many are aware the light from a magicshine is not a uni directional light and provides a flood pattern with a central bright spot that your going to have pointing at the road ahead anyway.
Certainly no worse than a dipped car light.

cyberknight

Hard to gauge.Some claim it has far too much flood even lighting the tops of near trees.

The debate was about dazzle rather than the beam width , the edge of the beam is not bright enough to dazzle other road users.To do that you would have to have the middle "bright" part of the beam pointed directly at oncoming traffic .

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
For info, $44.41 equates to £29.07 in stirling at today's rate. Still not convinced?

OK. I was. Order submitted. It'll make a nice addition to my Ay-Ups
rolleyes.gif

Top Bottom