Commuting modes and times ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bike: 30min
Bus: 25min walk + 30min bus ride + 10min walk = 1h05m
Train: 20min walk +5min train + 20min wait + 15min train + 10min walk = 1h10m
Car: never had a car but it would be around 20min + 10min walk I reckon.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
i leave my house for both at 7:45, get bike out, lock up etc so ready to leave by 7:50. spend 10 minutes trying to get GPS to lock on! then anything from 18 minutes (if i push it) to 35 minutes (major headwind!!) then spend 10 minutes cooling down etc at work.

Going home i get it to about 18 minutes, can get changed in about 5 so am always home by 5:30 (depending on how long the GPS takes to lock on!)

5 miles each way with just shy of 400 ft of climbing. the car drinks fuel due to being cold and then hitting that massive hill at the start! thats the only place i lose time to it on the bike.

Boris Bike

Cycle + Shower at work = Same time as getting the tube.

But since I have a shower and breakfast at work, I can stay in bed longer if I cycle :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This is all too complicated. No-one has added in the fact that you can cycle the long way home just for fun, extending commute time considerably !:laugh:

defy-one

Car - 22 miles each way. 70 mins on average with normal london traffic.
Bike - 100 minutes no matter what the traffic. Maybe be quicker on the triban compared to bso hybrid
Time not an issue as i'm losing weight & getting fit, no fuel and parking. No wear and tear on car equals less servicing

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
BIKE- 70-80 Mins plus 15 minutes shower and change and 15 mins prep at home...so 110 mins
Motorbike 45-50 mins plus the same 30 mins spilt at either end so 80 mins
Car- anything for 60 - 180 mins. plus 10 mins to wake up at the other end.

Personally I have never found myself getting lost on a commute I regularly do.

I think they're going for KOM on Strava, hence the need for GPS.

9 mile drive to work, 15-60 minutes depending on traffic (but on average 20 mins).

If I took the bike it would be a 36 minute ride (I've done few test rides on weekends), a change of clothes and a shower with an additional 10 minute walk from where the showers are to my building. All in about an hour, and so comparable to a drive in very busy traffic.

I already get up at 5 to be in the office by 6, the need to get up another 30 minutes earlier to ride in does not encourage me to bother to use the bike to commute.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Bike- about 40 minutes including changing etc.

Bus- about an hour, there's a short walk to the bus stop either end and the journey takes about 50 minutes.

Train- the train part of the journey is about four minutes but It's 20 minutes to the station (walking) at this end, and a fair old way at the other end- so much so that I've only ever tried it when it's been snowing. More than one hour, even using a bus to get from the station to work.

Train / Brompton- about 40 minutes what with turning up at the station a little early. The cycle part of the journey is of course shorter but more uphill and there's more traffic and traffic lights and junctions and that- it's just as quick to ride direct.

Taxi. Door to door about 25 minutes.

Lozatron

This is a very good question!

Commute by bike - either office...
- Get into bike stuff 10 mins
- Breakfast / faff 20 mins
- Cycle to work 55 mins
- Park up bike 5 mins
- Shower / ready 25 mins
Total - 1:55 from bed to desk...

Tube to C London office
- Get dressed / breakfast / shower / faff 40 mins