Commuting modes and times ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
The problem with me is once on the bike time stops and I usually go for a spontanious ride before going into work. Like this morning as usual out of the door with 1.5hrs before I clock in, I decided to go to the newsagents then to the sandwich shop then for a little buzz to tackle a certain hill I wanted to climb to which I felt strong in the legs today before heading for work. I could get to work in the car quicker but have a lot of hassle trying to find a safe parking space if I do. Don't do public transport, out of the question as there is no direct bus route where I work. It can take all day for me on the bike for all I care, its having to go to work that's the problem[ I want to retire now!].

GrasB

Veteran
Ownership= £1500 a year depreciation over 364 days = £41 per day
Ownership= £500 a year depreciation over 364 days = £1.37
So you get 30x the cost per day by depreciation being 3x higher for a car? :blink: WTF?! I've obviously missed a lot of basic maths here!

PS. I end up with a cost of £0.39/day of wear & tear of tyres alone!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
So you get 30x the cost per day by depreciation being 3x higher for a car? :blink: WTF?! I've obviously missed a lot of basic maths here!

PS. I end up with a cost of £0.39/day of wear & tear of tyres alone!
yep, that's the decimal point I mentioned...should be £4.12...but Shhhh your spoiling my argument...no-one has noticed.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Cycling:
Shaving: 10 minutes
Face cleansing routine: 15 mins
Getting dressed/packing bag/brushing teeth: 20 mins
Cycle: 40 minutes
Shower & dressed: 20 mins
Makeup: 15 minutes

Total: 2 hours

Train
Showering: 25 minutes
face cleansing routine: 15 mins
Getting dressed: 15 minutes
Make up: 15 minutes
Teeth / locking house: 5 mins
walk to station: 15 minutes
Train journey: 17 minutes
Tube journey: 8 minutes
Walk to work 10 minutes

Total 2 hours 5 mins

Unless I am having a bad day and then it'll be:

Going back to check door is locked: 3 hours
Crying at hopelessness of life: 35 minutes

Reactions: 4F

Teuchter

Über Member
About relative costs, I can't be bothered calculating it all but as an owner of a car and a motorbike (both relatively cheap and old), I'd be surprised if there's that much difference between the annual cost of the two. My motorbike (900cc) returns 45-50mpg while the car (1800cc) returns 35-40mpg which isn't a huge difference when you total it up. Motorbike goes through more tyres and they cost more. Mine is shaft drive but most bikes probably need chain and sprockets factored in too. I do 95% of my own servicing so I save there otherwise service intervals for motorbikes are a lot less than for cars.

Also in addition to running costs, the fixed costs of insurance, road tax, etc at least for me with a car are unavoidable even though I almost never take it to work. Even though I'm the only driver in the household, the wife would be well impressed if I sold the car and removed access to her and the kid's own private taxi (about the only time I drive the bloody thing). I also wouldn't do without a motorbike no matter how infrequently I used it... I've always been a biker and always will be :becool:

I do however accept that bicycles are loads cheaper. I reckon I get about about 90mpg* from mine

* miles per gallon of porridge

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
From rolling out of bed to desk
Bike 70 minutes
Car 40 minutes
Bus 2 hours in / 3 hours home
Train No viable option

dawesome

E11 to SE1-7.5 miles, start work at 8am.

Tube= £3.70 each way, if you don't get to Leytonstone station before 7.30 am you stand for the journey, so close to the person next door you can smell what they had for breakfast. Grim. 40 minutes.

Bike's the same, 40 minutes. Did it for 8 years and saved enough to convert the loft.

Edwards80

Über Member
Door to Door on the train - 1 hour (when it is on time)

Getting clothed to changing into work stuff when cycling in - 45 mins.

One of these makes me grumpy and costs £6 a day. Still get called mad by colleagues for riding the 20 mile round trip each day :huh:

Takes about 40 mins to an hour in a car.

dawesome

If I tubed I had to get of at St Pauls and cross the wibbly wobbly bridge, is I cycled I'd cool down in the valleys of The City, between the tall buildings where the air is delicious and cool, and then stop at Borough Market where they've got one of those machines, you know where oranges come down a little chute and get crushed and you get fresh cold orange juice WITH BITS IN!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Cycling:
Shaving: 10 minutes
Face cleansing routine: 15 mins
Getting dressed/packing bag/brushing teeth: 20 mins
Cycle: 40 minutes
Shower & dressed: 20 mins
Makeup: 15 minutes

Total: 2 hours

Train
Showering: 25 minutes
face cleansing routine: 15 mins
Getting dressed: 15 minutes
Make up: 15 minutes
Teeth / locking house: 5 mins
walk to station: 15 minutes
Train journey: 17 minutes
Tube journey: 8 minutes
Walk to work 10 minutes

Total 2 hours 5 mins

Unless I am having a bad day and then it'll be:

Going back to check door is locked: 3 hours
Crying at hopelessness of life: 35 minutes

you could save valuable time if you locked the house with keys instead.

not to mention the dental bills.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
[QUOTE 1998176, member: 9609"]you shave ?[/quote]
Legs, pits...places, yup.

Looks like MissTillyFlop only shaves when cycling though ... so either a speed advantage or the people you meet on the train just aren't worth the effort:laugh:
I do it in the shower at home, but I do it home before I come to work as I think shaving in work's shower is a bit anti social!

Top Bottom