commuting on a MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I rode a slicked-up MTB for years. But after I got a road bike I never looked back. So much quicker. However I still commute on my MTB (unslicked) in winter both because of the better control and because it is good training.

The important thing is whatever you ride, just enjoy it.

sadjack

Keith Oates said:
makes the roadie feel even better when I do ride it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could not agree more.

I ride an old old mtb with slicks. Does the job. But when I get on the road bike the difference is quite noticeable.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Exactly what folk say here - it's great training as you'll fly when you get on a road bike. I switch to my road bike when I feel like riding 20 miles home rather than 11.

Also means that my road bikes are mudguard free. The MTB is kitted up for rubbish weather, and as it's left in a public place (although secure with two good locks) I'm not too worried about it.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
mtb with semi-slicks (slick middle, knobbly edges) for commuting... chiefly coz I don't want my roadie nicked and the mtb was cheap 2nd hand... and I have a rack/panniers on it, which I wouldnae put on the roadie...
S'fine for me (17 miles each way)

Yeah, go for it as everyone says. Your best bet is to shove a pair of slicks on it, too. I rode my MTB for a couple of months (on a pretty long commute), and I was fine.

I've got a hybrid now and it's better than any road bike I've had, so it's just personal preference.

Batzman

I rode a specialized enduro full sus MTB for a while (about 4 months)

I found that it was great for soaking up the bumps, dips, cracks and depressions at speed - you don't need to alter your rhythm as you seem to need to do on a road bike, but I discovered that I was cruising in top gear some of the time... so now I ride a hybrid. You might be up for a bit more maintenance as well... I'd even go so far to say that I seemed to get a bit more respect from the motorists on it...

PBancroft

I ride a GT Avalanche. It's great for the short period of tracks, and I can lock out the sus for the smoother roads.

Sure it's not perfect, it's certainly heavier than necessary and can't hold the pannier racks I want, but it does do the job.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Batzman said:
you don't need to alter your rhythm as you seem to need to do on a road bike

'seem' is perhaps the right word... the stronger and more experienced you are riding a road bike the more you are able to keep a rhythm. Of course FS makes it all seem easier in that regard, and you don't have to bother with handling skills or line, which is exactly why it is harder to learn to be a better rider (on or off road) riding FS...

bonj2

Flying_Monkey said:
'seem' is perhaps the right word... the stronger and more experienced you are riding a road bike the more you are able to keep a rhythm. Of course FS makes it all seem easier in that regard, and you don't have to bother with handling skills or line, which is exactly why it is harder to learn to be a better rider (on or off road) riding FS...

I don't actually agree with that. But hey.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
bonj said:
I don't actually agree with that. But hey.

It's not just my personal opinion. If you talk to the majority of people who race XC or who have long-term experience of riding MTBs, you will get the same view. Riding HT forces you to develop better handling skills than riding FS. That is not to say that riding FS is 'bad', but it will not help you develop you into a more skilled rider in the same way.

But I expect, as usual, you know better than everyone else. ;)

[BTW - please don't respond here - take it to the thread in the MTB section, where you also seem to have taken exception to a similar statement without any genuine argument]

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Flying_Monkey said:
It's not just my personal opinion. If you talk to the majority of people who race XC or who have long-term experience of riding MTBs, you will get the same view. Riding HT forces you to develop better handling skills than riding FS. That is not to say that riding FS is 'bad', but it will not help you develop you into a more skilled rider in the same way.

But I expect, as usual, you know better than everyone else. :smile:

[BTW - please don't respond here - take it to the thread in the MTB section, where you also seem to have taken exception to a similar statement without any genuine argument]

He's right, Bonj. First time I did Afan Argoed I went round on a rigid MTB and was with a load of guys riding FS - I was a bit narked not so much because they were faster than me downhill (I was a bit of a trails newbie anyway) but because they were faster than me in such a casual way :smile:. Having since had a go of a full susser I can now confirm that it's mostly because riding them is an absolute piece of piss in comparison. Nothing wrong with that, of course. Still like my HT better than the FS I tried, but even just the front shocks make things seem easy in comparison to the rigid...

bonj2

theclaud said:
He's right, Bonj. First time I did Afan Argoed I went round on a rigid MTB and was with a load of guys riding FS - I was a bit narked not so much because they were faster than me downhill (I was a bit of a trails newbie anyway) but because they were faster than me in such a casual way :biggrin:. Having since had a go of a full susser I can now confirm that it's mostly because riding them is an absolute piece of piss in comparison. Nothing wrong with that, of course. Still like my HT better than the FS I tried, but even just the front shocks make things seem easy in comparison to the rigid...

well they WILL be if you're on a rigid! :sad:

neslon

Why worry about which bike to commute on? You make it sound so all or nothing. I commute on a fixie, a road bike, an MTB or a hybrid. They are all great, and all work well, some better on some routes than others. And thats one of the things I love about using the bike - should I go on the tracks? Is it a long road day? Will the off-road option fit in with plans for the day? Whats the weather doing? Don't limit yourself, have lots of bikes and use them all!

Top Bottom