commuting on a MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doily

Did a year on a slicked-up MTB, but got fed up of numb hands so freecycled it and bought myself a shiny new touring bike instead. I find the drop handlebars much more comfotable.

ghitchen

I use a modified mtb when it's raining during BST and every day during GMT (dry BST is for my road bike). My commute is a 32 or 48 mile round trip. The things I changed were:

1. Sus forks swapped for rigid (desirable)
2. Full mudguards added (essential)
3. Seat changed for same model as road bike
4. MTB cassette swapped for 12-21 road version
5. Smallest front chainring removed
6. 1.5" slicks fitted (essential)
7. Handlebars narrowed and bar ends fitted inboard of grips. This gives a much more aero position and gives another hand position to reduce fatigue.

Picture here: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/gary.hitchen/MarinBearValley/photo#5119372620631444274

The only thing I don't like is the high Q-factor of the Alivio chainset.

Bug

I ride the same bike, rain, shine, summer, winter - a cheap Giant OCR4 road bike. I used to ride a hybrid before someone nicked it from my garden... A road bike is undoubtably quicker when up to speed. However, I find that the steering is sharper on flat bars. In summary, unless roads are fairly car-free and without traffic lights, you'll always be able to gain more through filtering than through absolute top-end speed.

Well that's my observation, anyway.

Biscuit

Legendary Member
Hi,

I'm currently commuting on a MTB, a cheap brand X frame from Chain Reaction with spesh bits and pieces after I cracked the original rockhopper frame last year.
Agree with the greater comfort comments re hand positioning for road.
Do the same commute on different route for the road bike. Swap bikes during the week depending on how I feel and the weather.
MTB takes 2hrs, Road 1.5hrs. MTB route is off road and much more enjoyble than the road route, which uses a major A road, and so includes a small death wish element to it. :smile:

Biscuit.

Top Bottom