commuting on a MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I used MTBs exclusively as commuting machines for maybe 15 years. Use road bikes mostly now. Still have an old MTB (with guards) for the really shitty weather.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yup - every day - standard rigid MTB with Deore LX, but shod with semi-slicks and guards. Does the job for between 15-22 mile round trip (depending on the route).

Tynan

Veteran
any bike is good but obviously a better, more suited bike will be better

it's all good though

col

Legendary Member
I use one for my commuting,its more sturdy for the bad roads,so less likely to suffer buckled wheels.

Forgot to say i have slicks on it.

longers

Legendary Member
I did 10 miles a day for a year on my wifes rockhopper - didn't want to get my best bike dirty, and didn't want to get my mtb dirty either ;)

I did put slicks on it though.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I used one for 5 years for my 30 mile a day roundtrip however I found that a road bike is both quicker and more comfortable.

col

Legendary Member
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
I used one for 5 years for my 30 mile a day roundtrip however I found that a road bike is both quicker and more comfortable.

I agree about quicker,but i find my mb very comfortable,i think its just how you have it,road bikes included,set up?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
col said:
I agree about quicker,but i find my mb very comfortable,i think its just how you have it,road bikes included,set up?

I found the additional hand positions available on drop handlebars compared to a flat bar made the big difference.

Keith Oates

Janner
I use a MTB for most of my commutes due to some bad road surfaces etc. (and also to keep the roadie for dry and sunny weekends) and the daily distance at the present time is about 50 Km. I use full knobblies as I think they are a bit more resistant to P*******s and also makes the roadie feel even better when I do ride it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

col

Legendary Member
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
I found the additional hand positions available on drop handlebars compared to a flat bar made the big difference.

Again i agree,i do sometimes miss the variaty of hand positions,but i have the setup on my bike,purely by a bit of luck i think and not knowhow,feeling very comfortable for me;)

Top Bottom