Commuting on a pedal assist electric bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm not against electric bikes, but they're no use to me. They'd run out of range part way through my commute, leaving me with a 'kin heavy bicycle and a big hill to cycle up on my own.

levad

Veteran
BM you could fit a dynamo to keep the battery charged up :biggrin:

OP
OP
G

Gibbyent

BM depends on your commute I quite often do the 12 miles to work on 1/5 of the battery and rarely manage to use more than 4/5 over 24 miles even when I am at my laziest.

potsy said:
Just looked at those Hackbike,£1200-1300 very nice though,hub gears,built in lights.
One question-how easy is it to get the rear wheel on and off for punc*u*e repair on electric bikes? A colleague of mine has a cheapo one and says it's 'a nightmare' so much so he has put a greentyre on it.
Just over 20kg for the bike with battery too.

Didn't have a p*nct*re while I was out there so never had to worry about it.The bike weighed a ton though and very bulky.

It was hilly out there and I was surprised how easily I got up those hills considering I haven't been fully fit for a long time.I reckon I could use one of those on my commute if need be but I know that BM's commute is more hilly.

jimboalee

levad said:
BM you could fit a dynamo to keep the battery charged up :biggrin:

More expensive electronics can accommodate 'regenerative braking', allowing the motor to become a generator on downhill freewheel parts of the journey; and at speeds over 15 mph.

jimboalee said:
More expensive electronics can accommodate 'regenerative braking', allowing the motor to become a generator on downhill freewheel parts of the journey; and at speeds over 15 mph.

I can understand that,our trains have that fitted.

Top Bottom