Commuting on road bike through winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gillymate

Regular
Hi all, just after a bit of advice. I took my Trek Emonda SL5 2021 into the bike shop today as it had a flat tyre. I commute to work daily on it (5 miles each way). The man in the shop said it was unusual to commute on that bike, and also that I shouldn’t use it through a ‘British winter’ as it would ruin it. Thinking about this on my ride home, I found myself thinking ‘why?’. The actual tarmacced roads won’t be any different because it is winter will they? Obviously I’m not going to ride it in icy conditions, but in a bit of cold and wet I can’t really see why it would have any damaging effect on my bike. Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance.

Drago

Legendary Member
Why would it ruin it? I commited on a Pinnacle Dolomite through 7 winters, cleaned and lubed it regularly, and it still looks and rides like a 6 month old bike.

If youre going to give it zero love, maintenance and cleaning then winter will cause injury to the bike quicker than in summer, but take moderate care and it will be absolutely fine. Nothing more useless than a bike that wouldn't survive the British climate!

gbb

Legendary Member
I used my then best bike, a Bianchi through a winter, not bad days but nevertheless exposed to salt and grit etc and I found the following....

Down tube cable adjuster/tensioner siezed solid. Easily prevented by using anti sieze which I promptly did on any new bike. Took a lot of fixing did that, drilling and tapping the bosses.
Cabon flaking away from the alloy steerer around the brake nut tube. Cosmetic but caused me some concern.
Furry corrosion at various spots where corrosion set in around stone chips.

OP
OP
G

Gillymate

Regular
This was my train of thought. The bike cost me a lot of money - I clean it every week religiously, and in doing so give it a good inspection in the process. I didn’t really understand his comment, but at the same time I am concerned in case I’m missing something as I obviously don’t want to compromise the bike for the long summer rides out on it etc

OP
OP
G

Gillymate

Regular
I used my then best bike, a Bianchi through a winter, not bad days but nevertheless exposed to salt and grit etc and I found the following....

Down tube cable adjuster/tensioner siezed solid. Easily prevented by using anti sieze which I promptly did on any new bike. Took a lot of fixing did that, drilling and tapping the bosses.
Cabon flaking away from the alloy steerer around the brake nut tube. Cosmetic but caused me some concern.
Furry corrosion at various spots where corrosion set in around stone chips.
Thanks for that - stone chips occurring due to grit flicking up onto the paintwork?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This is my son's winter bike, which now has SKS Raceblade Long clip-on muguards (and a chain / bar tape) - a Boardman AirPro aero race bike:

DSCF6124.JPG

Keep things cleaned and lubricated and they'll be fine.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I ride an aero road bike 365 days a year. I suspect the components wear out a bit quicker in the winter months principally due to the salt on the roads, but keep it cleaned and well lubed and it should be fine.

OP
OP
G

Gillymate

Regular
This is my son's winter bike, which now has SKS Raceblade Long clip-on muguards (and a chain / bar tape) - a Boardman AirPro aero race bike:

View attachment 552680

Keep things cleaned and lubricated and they'll be fine.
Thanks a lot - so keep chain lubed, bike clean - what else? Thanks for your help

OP
OP
G

Gillymate

Regular
This is my bike - anyone sees anything wrong with riding it in winter please let me know - all comments greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 6E82FF39-79F5-49F4-A38C-28D56DB07FFF.jpeg
    6E82FF39-79F5-49F4-A38C-28D56DB07FFF.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
G

Gillymate

Regular
I ride an aero road bike 365 days a year. I suspect the components wear out a bit quicker in the winter months principally due to the salt on the roads, but keep it cleaned and well lubed and it should be fine.
Thanks very much - when you say well lubed what else should I be maintaining other than just the chain? Apologies if a stupid question but I just don’t want to miss anything!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Thanks a lot - so keep chain lubed, bike clean - what else? Thanks for your help

Basically grit / road salt will get into the cassette / chain / cable areas. As long as you keep them regularly cleaned it's OK. Remember to clean brake pads as well along with rims because more grime will get in there than you realise, reducing braking and increasing rim wear.

I run a 10 speed 'winter' bike - an Avanti Circa from New Zealand - and it gets cleaned once a week after commuting only rather than my son's which is done after every ride. As a result I'll go through tyres, chains and cassettes faster and expect to wear a wheelset out each year. Hence the 'old' wheels and tyres in the photo, which have gone now.

Avanti.JPG

Slick

Guru
This is my bike - anyone sees anything wrong with riding it in winter please let me know - all comments greatly appreciated
Nice bikes but after riding through the last few winters I got fed up having to clean them after every ride as it can be a pain in the arris after a while. Salt is a killer for bike components as they sit for 9 hours or more at work doing damage.

Wind and rain is no hassles but you would certainly need to clean them much more than once a week no matter how religiously to get through February and March here.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Thanks very much - when you say well lubed what else should I be maintaining other than just the chain? Apologies if a stupid question but I just don’t want to miss anything!
Jockey wheels get clogged and need cleaning and lubricating, as do brake callipers. Also worth taking out the bottom race on the headset every couple of months giving it a good clean and regreasing as it tends to get road muck in it. Whip out the qrs and grease occasionally as well.

Top Bottom