Commuting - Washroom wet-wipe wipe over.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yebbut how many do you use on the bike?
Arf arf...

Social distancing means that no one comes within 2 metres of me at work anymore and the days of close quarter meetings are long gone.
I had considered stopping washing altogether after my ride in, but my few remaining shreds of dignity told me I should keep it up :laugh:
good point. & yesterday before going into my 2nd job I was debating the mask thing. the past 3 weeks I've been off that 2nd job growing facial hair & I wanted to show it off. if I wore my mask, none of the cuties would have seen it. then I go in & find out it was the last day w/o masks. gotta wear them again. might as well shave then, huh?

BurningLegs

Veteran
Agreed on the wet wipe front.

I personally hate them. When my first child was born four years ago we were given a load of packs and we still haven’t used them all (they’re only used for bike cleaning) - we always used washable cloths for nappy changes (kinder to bums and the environment).

Having seen how well they clean grease and road grime off my bike I wouldn’t want to put it near my baby’s bum or my own arm pits!

Perhaps we’ve just become more tolerant @keithmac? ^_^

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Im a bit of a sweaty dog, but that is also because im always forever pushing myself over the legal speed limit on a bicycle. So when i always commute to work i always give myself at least 30-45mins to rest and freshen up. That 30-45mins also exists as a buffer in case of a flat too.

I would prefer a shower before work but there are no such facilities unfortunately.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Got to admit, the sweating thing puts me off using my bike to cycle to friend's houses. Having to retire to their bathroom, sweaty and out of breath, to clean up a bit first, would feel a bit weird. I did it a few times when it involved sitting in the garden during covid/lockdown as being stinky and breathless outside didn't seem to matter so much. I need to get fitter so I'm not so sweaty and exhausted I guess. I can't ride any slower, or I'll fall off.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Got to admit, the sweating thing puts me off using my bike to cycle to friend's houses. Having to retire to their bathroom, sweaty and out of breath, to clean up a bit first, would feel a bit weird. I did it a few times when it involved sitting in the garden during covid/lockdown as being stinky and breathless outside didn't seem to matter so much. I need to get fitter so I'm not so sweaty and exhausted I guess. I can't ride any slower, or I'll fall off.

It doesn’t really matter how fit you are, there is always a speed you can ride at where you don’t get sweaty. If you get fitter, there’s a significant chance you’ll just ride quicker and still get sweaty ^_^

As BurningLegs said, just ride a bit slower (I'm not even sure fitness matters - I probably sweat more at " medium" speeds than before I rode a lot, I just notice it less!).

Of course "good" friends won't think you're weird ... or at least are used to your weirdness ...

AuroraSaab

Veteran
My friends don't mind, I think it's more my own slight embarrassment. I have put on weight and lost fitness during the lockdown which deters me from using the bike more. Obviously counter-productive though because if I used it more I'd regain my fitness, wouldn't get out of breath, wouldn't look like John Mills in Ice Cold in Alex when I get off the bike on a hot day, etc.

I'm reading a book about the science of the keto diet right now and hoping that will kick-start a dietary change. Plan B is to only visit friends whose houses are on the same elevation as mine with no inclines in between.

potsy

Rambler
Since returning to cycle commuting last week I have yet to break into a sweat :whistle:

I just have a change of clothes ready and a few squirts of Lynx Africa :whistle:

Top Bottom