Commuting wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maylian

Veteran
So I bought a Giant Revolt 3 to use as my everyday commuter with the hope to get fitter and drop some weight. In the past two weeks I've popped two spokes from the standard rear wheel (Giant P-X2 Disc wheelset).

I do typically ride with my weight in mind, so shifting weight to minimise the impact, but now I'm thinking that I should look at getting something a bit more robust to cope with my 20st and looking for recommendations.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Have a look at Spa Cycles. Handmade to your specs for reasonable money.

Jameshow

Veteran
Yea I would look at going to a wheel builder as the stick wheels will be designed for someone of average weight, and are the one item on a bike that tends to get skimped on...

The problem is most 700c wheels have been designed for road racing not heavy weight carrying. Would 29er wheels fit? Discs aren't my thing!

Ajax Bay

Guru
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/giant-pr2-wheel-upgrade-£300-budget.284661/
"PR2 wheelset:
"Double-butted spokes 24/28 Radial except for 2x on drive side rear."
Replacement wheels need to be at least 32 spoke (3-cross) for the load you want them to carry.
Wide rims (internal width 25mm) will allow decent width tyres, as well.
Spa Cycles have an excellent rep. But I would seek advice from your LBS; and there are many in Bristol (I shall not offer recommendations).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maylian

Maylian

Veteran
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/giant-pr2-wheel-upgrade-£300-budget.284661/
"PR2 wheelset:
"Double-butted spokes 24/28 Radial except for 2x on drive side rear."
Replacement wheels need to be at least 32 spoke (3-cross) for the load you want them to carry.
Wide rims (internal width 25mm) will allow decent width tyres, as well.
Spa Cycles have an excellent rep. But I would seek advice from your LBS; and there are many in Bristol (I shall not offer recommendations).

Thanks for the response. I dropped it in to be fixed and they pretty much said similar, although also pointed out that the other shop I had used hadn't tensioned the spokes properly. Guess we'll see how it goes.

Top Bottom