Compact Chainset - which ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I live in a hilly area and I am looking for a good value 'budget' chainset - about 48/34. I'd prefer one with a metal/silver finish rather than black. (Is it a false economy to buy a budget chainset ? should I save up my pennies for something more expensive ?)

Is it possible to buy a 48/34 chainset - and if so - from where ???

I currently have a drilled 52/42 chainset (make unknown), SR Royal cranks and a campagnolo bottom bracket.

Presumably I will have to replace the cranks/ bottom bracket at the same time ? If not, would it be wise to do so anyway ?

Will I need to replace the campagnolo front derailleur ?

Thank you for any advice !!!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I would assume your bottom bracket is square taper, if so then Geoffery Butler (www.gbcycles.co.uk) have an advert in Cycling Weekly with a 48/34 square taper Veloce compact for £29.99. It needs a 111mm axle length, so if yours is different to that budget about another ten - twelve quid for that.

Your existing front mech will work perfectly with a compact, despite what campag claim.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Thanks guys for such useful and comprehensive replies - I shall be placing a couple of orders very shortly !!!

Thanks again !!!

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
peanut said:
thats a good price from GB.
You could also try SJS Cycles
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cid/LQR7...le-34-50-chainset-steel-rings-170mm-13441.htm
another option would be to swop your 42t inner chainring for a 38t chainring .this would give you effectively another 4"
To put it another way if the biggest sprocket on your cassette is 27t you would gain the equivalent of having a 30t sprocket
.SJS stock 38t chainrings quite cheap.

I should have mentioned, my current chainset is an old 5 bolt 144mm; isn't a 42t inner the smallest that will fit on that size ?

Globalti

Legendary Member
I got a Shimano compact fitted to my road bike, it was a 34/50 and with fitting it cost £60. That included a new BB because this is a Hollowtech crankset, which has outboard bearings. (I think it's excellent and really stiff but no doubt others will disagree).

And yes, the existing front derailleur worked fine with it despite the gap being a little too wide.

peanut

pubrunner said:
I should have mentioned, my current chainset is an old 5 bolt 144mm; isn't a 42t inner the smallest that will fit on that size ?

you need to know the BCD which I would assume is probably 130bcd the smallest ring which will fit 130bcd is 38t but it is not well known hence why most folk use a 39t.
Here is a useful guide to the formulae for working it out.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
peanut said:
you need to know the BCD which I would assume is probably 130bcd the smallest ring which will fit 130bcd is 38t but it is not well known hence why most folk use a 39t.
Here is a useful guide to the formulae for working it out.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html

The BCD is 144bcd, which is, according to Sheldon Brown - Old Campagnolo standard, still used for track applications - the bike does have a Campagnolo bottom bracket.

peanut

pubrunner said:
The BCD is 144bcd, which is, according to Sheldon Brown - Old Campagnolo standard, still used for track applications - the bike does have a Campagnolo bottom bracket.

blimey olriley thats old. Unless its a special `retro' bike you need to toss that BB and chainset away and replace with a new transmission. It sounds as though its due for an upgrade anyway.
Double check your measurements as a track bike chainset would only be fitted with a single chainring. I presume your bike has a double ?

It would be helpful to other posters if you gave a full description of your bike's componentry so we can advise accordingly;)

Top Bottom