Compact Digital "Pocket" Camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a few social and sport events coming up and am looking at getting a camera that I can just stick in my pocket (or sporran) to take pics. Something simple, point and click. I'm not sure how all the techy stuff works re pixels and digital/optical zoom so it means nothing to me.

I'd also like something that can take a number of images in quick succession from holding down the button (although not an essential feature, it would be good) as one of the events is a cycling race and they'll be going past at a great rate of knots, as will the dancers at the weddings no doubt once the ceilidh starts!

Price less than £100.

I've seen a couple that look like they'd do the trick
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/camera...ef_id=VKJaTgAABUnkUeI0:20150307121812:s#cat-0
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/camera...-digital-camera-black-10119275-pdt.html#cat-0

Any other suggestions or comment on the above models?

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Getting decent still pics of a cycle race will be difficult with this type of camera, so don't build your hopes up too high.

You might have more success taking short video clips, which both the cameras on your shortlist can do.

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
Getting decent still pics of a cycle race will be difficult with this type of camera, so don't build your hopes up too high.

You might have more success taking short video clips, which both the cameras on your shortlist can do.

Good point. I was hoping to get some pics of them going up a hill from head-on, but video might be better - I'm not wanting to view the entire event thru a lens so just stick it in the air and point will be my approach ;)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Good point. I was hoping to get some pics of them going up a hill from head-on, but video might be better - I'm not wanting to view the entire event thru a lens so just stick it in the air and point will be my approach ;)

Some cameras allow you to 'snatch' stills as you take video, so that would be something to try.

I can't be bothered with video editing software, but I expect the free program on your laptop will do the same.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have an earlier model of the Panasonic Lumix DMC that you posted. As a point and shoot camera it's brilliant. I have not explored even half the capabilities that the software can provide, and they get more sophisticated (and cheaper) by the month. The best bit for me is that you really can stick them in your pocket.

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
This one seems to have an awful lot of zoom to it, which might come in handy:
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/camera...-digital-camera-black-22064425-pdt.html#cat-0
£10 above budget tho...

I am not even sure what kind of difference it makes to have 8x optical zoom or 22x optical zoom :blush: but zoom sounds good - close up but far away.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
This one seems to have an awful lot of zoom to it, which might come in handy:
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/camera...-digital-camera-black-22064425-pdt.html#cat-0
£10 above budget tho...

I am not even sure what kind of difference it makes to have 8x optical zoom or 22x optical zoom :blush: but zoom sounds good - close up but far away.

That Nikon is specced up a bit compared to the other two you looked at.

The extra zoom may make a difference in terms of getting closer to the subject, but the more zoom you use, the more critical any movement of the camera becomes.

You are not quite into tripod territory, but you may need to have both arms rested on something solid, such as a wall.

The Nikon will probably have a nicer lens, but nicer means bigger, so its case will also be slightly chunkier than the other two.

All the £100 cameras do an excellent job for what they are.

I think your best bet is to buy one - those on your shortlist are as good as any - try it, and find out what it's capable of.

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
You are not quite into tripod territory, but you may need to have both arms rested on something solid, such as a wall.

I'll get my short mate to stand in front of me and use his napper ;)

I have found the one with big zoom for £80 (ex-display) so might just take a punt on it, and wear my trousers with large (and deep) pockets...looking at the dimensions it's still quite small.

The key is how fast it finds focus and then if it has a burst mode it will work but it won't burst until it finds focus. Nothing will tell you that other than a review, personal experience or holding it in your paw in the shop and then holding it's rival in your paw and seeing how fast it focuses on the spotty salesman's face.

To put it bluntly, they're all going to be much of a muchness below a ton, that's not to say rubbish but none of them will particularly stick out above the others. So stick to the big names like Nikon, Panasonic, canon and you probably won't go far wrong. Optical zoom is better than digital zoom but a bigger optical zoom may compromise speed of focus as it will be a higher f stop (less light) so I'd stick with less zoom.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'll get my short mate to stand in front of me and use his napper ;)

I have found the one with big zoom for £80 (ex-display) so might just take a punt on it, and wear my trousers with large (and deep) pockets...looking at the dimensions it's still quite small.

Sounds OK.

Going back to the Nikon, its extra features also make it a bit heavier, an extra 50g or so over a more basic one.

Perhaps not critical, but the extra weight will be noticeable.

Nothing wrong with buying something like this online, but just as there are excellent local bike shops, there are also excellent independent camera shops.

There's not a great deal to say about a £100 compact, but a camera shop might be able to give you tips on use, and should spend a bit of time telling you how to get started - handy in your case as you are not interested in the techy side.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If you carry a contract mobile phone, and are due an upgrade you could look at a Samsung Galaxy Zoom. Digital camera with an android phone built in, rather than vice-versa. One less thing to carry.

If you carry a contract mobile phone, and are due an upgrade you could look at a Samsung Galaxy Zoom. Digital camera with an android phone built in, rather than vice-versa. One less thing to carry.
They are getting quite good now, phones. Far more competent than a few years ago.

Top Bottom