compact or triple

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

miremare

Hello

i currently have a cube hybrid sl cross Compact and am going to get a road bike very soon.

Im not an experience cyclist, but am getting fitter and stronger each day.
im going about 15 miles per day 105 miles per week sometimes.

i want to start to stretch this.

i live in north wales. Its quite hilly.

I used to have a trek 7.5 fuel with a triple.
this was easier to get up the hills than im finding with my Cube.

I really don't know whether to get a triple road bike or compact.

Im concerned reading about all the negatives with a triple:-

longer chain
more chain wear
more servicing needed

but the lower gears would definitely help me get up the hills ( until i get lots stronger)

Do i need to stick at it with the compact and get fitter
or
go for the triple

any suggestions

many thanks

Rebel Ian

Hello

i currently have a cube hybrid sl cross Compact and am going to get a road bike very soon.

Im not an experience cyclist, but am getting fitter and stronger each day.
im going about 15 miles per day 105 miles per week sometimes.

i want to start to stretch this.

i live in north wales. Its quite hilly.

I used to have a trek 7.5 fuel with a triple.
this was easier to get up the hills than im finding with my Cube.

I really don't know whether to get a triple road bike or compact.

Im concerned reading about all the negatives with a triple:-

longer chain
more chain wear
more servicing needed

but the lower gears would definitely help me get up the hills ( until i get lots stronger)

Do i need to stick at it with the compact and get fitter
or
go for the triple

any suggestions

many thanks

A triple is a bit of a false economy as you if you check the ratios there are lots of gears that are the same. The important thing if you're worried about hills is the lowest one and you'll probably find there is almost no discernible difference between the lowest on a triple or a compact. If you want something extra go for a 12-27 cassette rather than a 12-25.

aberal

Guru
A triple is a bit of a false economy as you if you check the ratios there are lots of gears that are the same. The important thing if you're worried about hills is the lowest one and you'll probably find there is almost no discernible difference between the lowest on a triple or a compact. If you want something extra go for a 12-27 cassette rather than a 12-25.

+1

There's loads of posts on this subject ~(do a search) and people can get strangely confused by the subject. The big issue about choosing your gearing (assuming you are not a racer) is your lowest gear. I've posted on this a few times. I have a triple with a 30 small chainring and largest 25 cog at the back. It gives me a really low gear which I rarely need to use (despite being over 50, two stone overweight and unfit) but like to have there when I need it. I can get virtually the same ratio with a compact 34 at the front and 28 cog at the back. So there is no real need to get a triple for the sake of it, for the reasons you describe. The one downside to the compact is that there is a bigger difference when you drop or rise from one ring to the other, necessitating a double shift from time to time. I don't think its a big issue - I have to double shift regularly even with a triple.

Paul_L

Über Member
went through the same processes when i upgraded from a triple earlier this year.

I found if i got a compact with a 28 at the back there is virtually no difference in the gearing. Where i live is pretty hilly and for that reason i went with a compact BUT i narrowed it down to those with a 28 gear at the back.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I ride with a bloke who has a triple on his Pinarello. When I'm climbing hills I'm in 34 / 27 and he's in his granny ring but spinning at almost the same speed as me, so neither of us thinks he has much of an advantage.

Compact gears with something like a 50 and a 34 are perfect for the amateur road rider; you can get up most hills and I, for one, can just about spin up to around 38 mph in the big ring, down hill with a following breeze!

Stephenite

Membå
Work it out yourself with this easy-to-read chart I made. :tongue:

2mp0eb4.jpg

Number of teeth on the chainrings down the on the left. And number of teeth on the rear wheel 'cassette' rings along the top.

The main body of the chart relates to 'gear inches': low numbers = the easier it is to get up those hills; high numbers = the faster downhill.

Highlighted is the set-up on my compact 46/36 12-25. But I too want lower gears!!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
11-36T cassettes are common now.About to become the norm for the leisure road cyclist with a compact 34/50T?

Having such a huge range of gears on the cassette means big jumps between each gear change.

A triple allows you to have a smaller range of gears on the cassette so your changes will not be such big jumps resulting in a more gradual smoother changing up or down through the gears.

Living in a hilly area I would go for a triple everytime especially if you plan on going longer distances.

aberal

Guru
Having such a huge range of gears on the cassette means big jumps between each gear change.

A triple allows you to have a smaller range of gears on the cassette so your changes will not be such big jumps resulting in a more gradual smoother changing up or down through the gears.

Living in a hilly area I would go for a triple everytime especially if you plan on going longer distances.

Leaving aside the 11-36 cassette idea - a standard cassette of (say) 12-28 will give you an evenly spaced set of gears. Remember that nowadays there are 10 cogs on the rear cassette. Not so long ago there were only five and everyone got by. Most people don't NEED all those extra in-between gears, they are mostly superfluous. Other than maintaining a constant cadence, what are they for? What most people NEED is a decent spread of gears ranging from low to high at sensible, evenly spaced ratios. A compact will give that.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
The one downside to the compact is that there is a bigger difference when you drop or rise from one ring to the other, necessitating a double shift from time to time. I don't think its a big issue - I have to double shift regularly even with a triple.

I got a triple and have no issues with it all , my mate got the Trek double and it has been back to the supplier several times due to not being able to get up from the small to large ring.
We rode last week and he had to stay in the large ring all the way as once down it would not go up (been back 3 times and 2 new cables)

I like the triple and after watching him struggle i would not have one given me.

lulubel

Über Member
longer chain
more chain wear
more servicing needed

My triple has done 4,000 miles with one service, and I'm just about to replace the chain and cassette, not because they're completely worn out, but because I don't want to have to replace the chain rings as well if I leave it too long.

If you have a triple with a smallest gear of 30/25 and you need smaller, it's easy to replace the cassette or even the chainrings without drastic modification to the bike.

If you're running a compact with 34/28 and you need smaller, you don't have anywhere much to go other than a long reach rear mech or swapping your compact for a triple.

As I've said in other threads, that's why I'd always choose a triple over a compact, but obviously it's down to what works best for you, and what options are available on the bikes you're interested in.

Rebel Ian

I got a triple and have no issues with it all , my mate got the Trek double and it has been back to the supplier several times due to not being able to get up from the small to large ring.
We rode last week and he had to stay in the large ring all the way as once down it would not go up (been back 3 times and 2 new cables)

I like the triple and after watching him struggle i would not have one given me.

I'd say that's more to do with gears that need adjusting and your mate's ability to cycle up hills!

Top Bottom