Compact versus triple

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
This is where a triple scores over a double in that the jump in size between rings isnt so great.

The way to avoid losing momentum is to do a double shift.When you change down to a smaller ring simultaneously change to a smaller cog on the cassette.This will keep you pedalling without spinning like crazy after changing down a ring.

ok i see that, with my compact on the small ring i find the range suitable for my needs so this happens less than on my hybrid

maybe when im going quicker and further i will have a different view, for now they both work well for me most times, id say the compact shaves it

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Depends on the user, needs and lastly fitness levels. Some guys swap cassettes to suit terrain for example.

A 12-23 would be adequate for most terrain to be fair, however for the unfit or hillier terrain you would have a 25 or 27 (not including the MTB cassette/hanger or the recent introduction of the SRAM Apex offerings).

My expensive bike in an 11spd compact offering 27t on the back will get me up anything, however I managed on the other bike which had a 23t on the same sportives - I just had to be fitter or almost burst a blood vessel without the bail-out. ^_^

Also depends whether you like to spin or grind as well, i can get up most things in a 34x23 on my winter bike but i prefer to have a 28 as i like to spin rather than grind.I have just changed my boardman from 11-32 to 11-28 to give me a bit of a closer ratio but still leave me a decent low gear in case i hit a really steep climb or bonk ..My club mates have said i tend to spin .

Garz

Squat Member
Also depends whether you like to spin or grind as well, i can get up most things in a 34x23 on my winter bike but i prefer to have a 28 as i like to spin rather than grind.I have just changed my boardman from 11-32 to 11-28 to give me a bit of a closer ratio but still leave me a decent low gear in case i hit a really steep climb or bonk ..My club mates have said i tend to spin .

I concur Mr Cyberknight. I try to spin however my cadence data always averages out at around 82rpm, and whilst to some this is 'spinning' I have seen others keep their averages over 100 which astounds me. My old work colleague whom I still meet up with to ride is definitely a grinder, not that it is a bad thing, but I would say currently I fair between the two brackets.

Something to work on I think in 2012 for me! :idea:

Garz

Squat Member
You don't need one but they are rather cheap features on bike computers these days. Definitely worth investing if you want to see and improve upon that area.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You don't need one but they are rather cheap features on bike computers these days. Definitely worth investing if you want to see and improve upon that area.
+1 cadence is all well and good but as long as your not struggling to keep on top of gears then your doing ok, some people prefer to spin and others to grind dependent on whats feels best , muscle type etc etc.
Training routines should include spinning and times when you push a bigger gear to work on different areas of your fitness.

david k

Hi
FWIW I use one of these, http://www.bryton.co.za/bryton-rider-35-gps
Has cadence and HRM and works a treat :thumbsup:

looks good, how much would you expect to pay?

endoman

Unless you want it to actually direct you anywhere, I had one, got totally fed up with find and go not working, and got a Bryton 50 instead, much much better. Not a huge amount more either.

looks good, how much would you expect to pay?
I paid £135 from Merlin about 12 months back, and TBH I've never seen it that price since, at least not with HRM & Cadence sensors included.
Wiggle have the computer for £125.99 here; http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bryton-ride...ton-bryton_Rider_35E_GPS_Cycle_Computer-Black
and they have the sensors available here; http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bryton/ but it starts getting expensive buying everything separately.
In fact they have the package available as well here; http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bryton-ride..._35T_GPS_Cycle_Computer_with_Heart_Rate-Black

I'm guessing either Merlin had mis-priced it or I got a cracking bargain :whistle:

Unless you want it to actually direct you anywhere, I had one, got totally fed up with find and go not working, and got a Bryton 50 instead, much much better. Not a huge amount more either.
If you can afford/need a 50 then go for it, but I'm very happy with the 35, everything works as it should, it does more than I'll ever need it to and I clearly got a mahoosive bargain when I bought mine :thumbsup:

U

User482

Having changed a triple for a compact double last year (because I so rarely used the inner ring), I find the large jump between the front rings really irritating. You have to do a double shift to get the right ratio, not a problem I had with the triple.

I guess I should've grown a pair and fitted a standard double instead.

stu1903

Über Member
I have the 2010 Cube Agree GTC Pro Compact and love it. It's my first road bike so can't really comment on the triple.

Top Bottom