Compact versus triple

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stockie

Ticking the boxes
Hi need some views please. I have been on bike for about 10 months now and managed to complete blackpool - Manchester last July on board man hybrid. Now want to get myself a road bike and after looking around I am thinking about a cube agree pro, problem is as most of my biking is around chesterfield and haversage ie the peak district I was inclined to go for a triple rather than a compact version. However after talking to guy in local bike shop he tried to put me of a triple as he thinks it is wasted on a road bike and that if I felt I need it, to go for a much cheeper bike. I am 53 years old and was averaging about 60/65 miles per week before stopping for a few months because of dad dying. Any advice would be really welcome.

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
The honest answer is its up to you which suits you better, how strong you are and the type of terrain. I was advised that on a lot of bikes the gearing between the compact and the triple can often be quite close so you're not losing a lot by having a compact on a road bike, but you'd need to work out if you'd be happier with a triple.

Try and find somewhere that will let you try both (preferably on the same model bike or similar) and see what you think. If you're local place won't even let you try the difference for yourself, go elsewhere. My LBS's are useless so hope you have better luck than me.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I ride in the Pennines and have triples on two road bikes. A triple gives you that get you home gear when you are shot. Sram Apex which is a compact double is offering gear ratios that are equivelant/slightly better than a standard road triple with a max 32 on the rear and a 34 on the front. The gaps are bigger but it gives you the best of both worlds. I am seriously contemplating this on my new carbon build as a slightly lighter option than a triple.
As GazP says it must be your choice, only you know what riding you will do on it and how fit you feel. A triple is not wasted on a road bike it is just personal choice.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Hi need some views please. I have been on bike for about 10 months now and managed to complete blackpool - Manchester last July on board man hybrid. Now want to get myself a road bike and after looking around I am thinking about a cube agree pro, problem is as most of my biking is around chesterfield and haversage ie the peak district I was inclined to go for a triple rather than a compact version. However after talking to guy in local bike shop he tried to put me of a triple as he thinks it is wasted on a road bike and that if I felt I need it, to go for a much cheeper bike. I am 53 years old and was averaging about 60/65 miles per week before stopping for a few months because of dad dying. Any advice would be really welcome.
The bloke is talking shite IMHO. I am the same age as you I love riding my Scott Road bike but just arent tough enough to climb big hills on a compact or standard cank set.. OK some compacts have huge range of gears but you pay for that in big steps between gears.

On undulating rides if not in a rush I will only use the middle ring on the front. When I hit a big hill on a long ride my granny gear combination of 30 on front and 28 at the back is worth its weight in gold,

Dont be influenced by some fashion concious clown in a bike shop. Get the gearing that suits where you live and how strong your legs are.Why should you get a cheaper bike because you want lower gearing FFS that is the worse advice I have heard yet.

aberal

Guru
The bloke in the LBS is not necessarily talking shite IMHO. Contrary to Banjo's humble opinion. The truth is that both are as good as the other with pros and cons either way. The crucial factor for us older types (I am 52) is the low gearing - the high gears matter not a whit for us really - unless you regularly top 40-45mph. I have a triple with a 30 small chainring on the front and a 25 large cog on the rear which gives me a low enough gear living in hilly Scotland. I hardly ever need to use the lowest gear, not because I am fit, but because, frankly it is so low it doesn't come into play particularly often. A typical compact set up has a 34 small chainring on the front and if fitted with a large of cog of 28 on the rear gives a virtually identical low gear to my setup. So IMHO a compact can give you low enough gearing for most of whatever you need.

The advantages of compact is simplicity - both in the shifting itself and the mechanism within the shifter, there is less stress on the chain because the chain runs on a better line and there is a nice spread of gears without much overlap or duplication of the gears and the setup is lighter. The disadvantage is that there is a big drop in gears when you move from large chainring to small, from 50 to 34 teeth and you may have to upshift a couple of gears to compensate. The major advantage of the triple is that you don't have such a drop between the 52/42/34 chainrings, so the gearing is closer together allowing you to maintain cadence.

Some people prefer the compact, some prefer the triple. I have a triple but given an absolute choice would prefer a compact, purely for the simplicity. A triple can be a helluva faff at times.

PpPete

Legendary Member
A compact can indeed give you as wide a range as a triple, and even quite narrow gaps if you are crafty. For me the issue is all those double shifts... and the few times I've ridden a compact I always end up cross-chaining, whereas on my triple I spend most of the time in the middle ring and reserve the granny and big ring for "special occasions".

For me - and this is only a personal thing, the only thing simpler than a triple is a ...... FIXED !

I've never used a triple on a road bike, but I did test ride a bike with a triple once, and while I've no doubt the gears were not properly set up, I was constantly tweaking the shifter to stop the chain catching the front mech, (but I'm sure that's just me and that a proper setting up would have cured it).
I have a compact on both my bikes as I'm not currently fit enough for a standard double TBH, although I have just tweaked the ratios with new rings on one bike.
FWIW I did the Cat & Fiddle Challenge last October and was fine with a 34:50 compact despite a shed load of climbing that the route threw at me.

A 53:39 is racing gearing not a compact. Are you sure you have got that right?

D'oh! I'm still full of Christmas spirit :crazy: Well spotted that man, now corrected.

Edge705

The bloke in the LBS is not necessarily talking shite IMHO. Contrary to Banjo's humble opinion. The truth is that both are as good as the other with pros and cons either way. The crucial factor for us older types (I am 52) is the low gearing - the high gears matter not a whit for us really - unless you regularly top 40-45mph. I have a triple with a 30 small chainring on the front and a 25 large cog on the rear which gives me a low enough gear living in hilly Scotland. I hardly ever need to use the lowest gear, not because I am fit, but because, frankly it is so low it doesn't come into play particularly often. A typical compact set up has a 34 small chainring on the front and if fitted with a large of cog of 28 on the rear gives a virtually identical low gear to my setup. So IMHO a compact can give you low enough gearing for most of whatever you need.

The advantages of compact is simplicity - both in the shifting itself and the mechanism within the shifter, there is less stress on the chain because the chain runs on a better line and there is a nice spread of gears without much overlap or duplication of the gears and the setup is lighter. The disadvantage is that there is a big drop in gears when you move from large chainring to small, from 50 to 34 teeth and you may have to upshift a couple of gears to compensate. The major advantage of the triple is that you don't have such a drop between the 52/42/34 chainrings, so the gearing is closer together allowing you to maintain cadence.

Some people prefer the compact, some prefer the triple. I have a triple but given an absolute choice would prefer a compact, purely for the simplicity. A triple can be a helluva faff at times.

+1 thats a great post and just about sums up the differeences but if I was to add my two peneth hill climbing will be much smoother on a compact IMHO especially when changing between different inclines on the hill Also the 50 outer will save your knees you'll be surprised what difference two or three teeth can make on the front to your knees in the long term.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have never used a double and don't really understand the technology of gearing but when I purchesd my road bike I got him to change the double for a treble (cos I was a bit scared of using a double). On Wednesday when it was windy and facing a short but steepish hill I was really glad or the granny ring.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
An LBS should offer unbiased fact based advice not just unsubstantiated opinion. A beginner living in a hilly area will need low gearing. A wide ranged compact such as Sram Apex can provided it or a triple. Its personal choice and the pros and cons of each should have been explained by the LBS man. Instead he offered a compact as the only choice and went on to say triples are only for cheap bikes. That really is talking shite at a high level.

Garz

Squat Member
This old chestnut!

Whichever is cheaper, it is much of a muchness with the new compact offerings giving similar ratios to triples. I personally side with compacts, but I'm not old school.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
34x32 and 30x28 are almost identical but there's nothing to stop you having a lower inner ring on a triple. There's also no rule that says you have to use the inner ring on your triple. just nice to have it as a backup.

I'd vote for whatver setup will give the optimum chainlines, with the least(or no) amount of front changes, in the gear range you spend most time riding. I find this easiest to achieve on a triple or a super compact double.

Top Bottom