Company director jailed for pushing e-cyclist off his bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Link get a whole forest of red flags from mcaffee
Mod Note:
Link deleted ^_^

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Makes sense to me. Hit the ground from stationary is better than 40mph ?

Only if head on which it wasn’t. The force breaking ribs isn’t the forward motion, it the downward force into ground which will be gravity plus how much he was hit from side. Besides he was doing around 7.5mph. Forward motion would just be scrapes. It’s why motorcyclists racing at 190mph in full leathers often walk away after they’ve slide along a race course after coming off. The lawyer just showed how ignorant of physics they are.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
User was on e-bike on a shared use path - are they so endemic (I don't know because not user/interested)?

Whole point if e bikes and the rules around assistance and speeds is so they are treated as bikes and can go where bikes go. So e bikes on shared use paths is exactly one of the scenarios they are legislated and approved for.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I guess cyclist was probably on Strava or something similar so his speed would have been recorded ?

GPS only records position not speed. There is at least a 3-5m error in the position accuracy. So you can get an approximation if you take two positions relatively far apart compared to error margin. But you can’t get an exact speed at a precise position from the GPS data.

The speed quoted by prosecution or wherever it came from was just an attempt to prove the offender had some justification. If queried I’m sure the accuracy of the speeds at time of passing could easily be called into doubt.

A few points
a) including 2 people and a dog on that path - I would approach while slowing down and ring my bell - I would not pass unless I was sure they had noticed me and moved a bit - no way I would just ride past - even at 7.5 mph
b) the fact that is an ebike is irrelevant - they are just bikes as far as the law is concerned. But it does mean the rider can accelerate easier - so even less excuse to not slow down (if he didn't)
c) 23 mph seems dubious - I would suggest (as said above) that the units are wrong and it is 23 kph. And, of course, the assist cutoff of a LEGAL ebike is 15.5 mph - i.e. 25 kph - so 23 kph would seem like a normal cruising speed for a decent path with no obstacles - such as people and dogs
d) Most ebikes have a speedometer on them - so teh rider would have a good idea what the speed was. However, most people leave them set to either mph or kph - so a mixture is not likely. But if the report of the passing speed is from the rider then there is only his report of it. If the data is on Strava (or something similar) then the speeds would show accurately.

e) and most importantly - the assault is not justified in any circumstances - even if the original pass was bad!

but if the speed data was from Strava would show the speed

Sounds to me that there was at least one idiot here - the guy who committed the assault - and possible 2 - or 3 if you include the wife who at least stayed behind but then denied knowing her husband! (although at the time she might have been tempted to disown him!!!)

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Endemic is rather pejorative. Is there something about cyclists being assisted up to 15mph that offends you?

Anyway, e bikes are pretty common now, if that's what you mean.
You have misunderstood the point I was making - endemic was referencing Strava et al and their use, and my surprise that an e-cyclist might be using one in that context, nothing whatsoever to do with e-bikes. HTH

You have misunderstood the point I was making - endemic was referencing Strava et al and their use, and my surprise that an e-cyclist might be using one in that context, nothing whatsoever to do with e-bikes. HTH
For all we know the cyclist was just on the path for that section and the rest was in road. There's bits of bike path on all my long rides that go on Strava etc.

Only if head on which it wasn’t. The force breaking ribs isn’t the forward motion, it the downward force into ground which will be gravity plus how much he was hit from side. Besides he was doing around 7.5mph. Forward motion would just be scrapes. It’s why motorcyclists racing at 190mph in full leathers often walk away after they’ve slide along a race course after coming off. The lawyer just showed how ignorant of physics they are.
Sliding along the ground would be preferable. I doubt he was wearing leathers though and so his forward speed got dumped into the ground Pretty quickly ?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
For all we know the cyclist was just on the path for that section and the rest was in road. There's bits of bike path on all my long rides that go on Strava etc.
Yes, I'm sure you're right. In fact we know the square root of not a lot about the whole thing if we're being honest, but that wouldn't make for much of a discussion :laugh:

Top Bottom