Company director jailed for pushing e-cyclist off his bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
For all we know the cyclist was just on the path for that section and the rest was in road. There's bits of bike path on all my long rides that go on Strava etc.
Yes, I'm sure you're right. In fact we know the square root of not a lot about the whole thing if we're being honest, but that wouldn't make for much of a discussion :laugh:
I think the point about turning round to go back to where he parked his car might be a bit of a clue.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Nope does not work that way. His forward speed would be slowed by friction when he made contact with ground but won’t have affected his impact force with ground.
Genuine Q, not an argument, because ignorant. My brother fell off a 40 ft cliff a few years ago, and we've always thanked our lucky stars he landed on a 45 degree scree slope. Did that not make the difference, as we'd always believed? (Or am I being hard of thinking?)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Genuine Q, not an argument, because ignorant. My brother fell off a 40 ft cliff a few years ago, and we've always thanked our lucky stars he landed on a 45 degree scree slope. Did that not make the difference, as we'd always believed? (Or am I being hard of thinking?)

The scree will have had give and the slope may have delayed his head impact after the initial fall onto his feet. But in answer not really. But the give in the scree will have lessened any impact force through the ankles and he may have been able to take some steps to remain upright. The speed he hit the scree downwards will be down to the height of the cliff. His forward motion, how likely he is to fall forwards after the initial impact.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Falling vertically onto a 45 degree slope is effectively the same as falling the same distance at half a gravity, or halving your weight, so that would be beneficial to survival. Obviously, landing on a horizontal surface gives you 100% of the impact goodness, and falling past a vettical slope zero impact.

The downside though is a 45 degree slope leaves opportunities for continuing to fall, which is itself more scope for injury.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I know the path well and would be incredibly surprised to see anyone going 23mph along it. A large part of it is not even paved and a gets pretty muddy. It is a great place for kids to learn to ride in a traffic free environment and at almost all sections is more than wide enough for cyclists and pedestrians not to come into conflict. As stated above, all pretty much irrelevant once the pedestrian commits assault.

IIRC the e-cyclist is cited as riding 'between' the group on his second pass.
Fair enough - so they moved apart presumably???
or not and he saw a gap and went for it

pretty different cases really

As far as falling from speed or from stationary - if you fall at a speed (not super fat - but some speed - then you tend to roll or slide.
Whereas if you fall from very slow, or no, speed then you just hit. This happened to me when I fell off and broke by arm - if I had been moving I may have lost some skin, ripped some clothes but maybe not broken anything.
Doesn't always work and can be the other way round - but does sometimes work that way

p.s.. anyone who knows the path checked if there is a Strava segment on there - some people take those things far too seriously!

Sliding along the ground would be preferable. I doubt he was wearing leathers though and so his forward speed got dumped into the ground Pretty quickly ?
What you land on and how you land too. I was catapulted over the bars of my bike by arrogantly trying to steer out of a slipped on gravel front wheel when I should have just gone down and taken the rash.
Speed was probably 12 MPH but the front wheel ended up at 90 degrees and the back end overtook the front almost vertically.
My feet I could not employ because of toe straps and I was dumped head and shoulders on tarmac. Both collar bones broken (again) scaphoid bone left hand, three teeth broken and one missing, hole in upper lip, fractured jaw and spitting tiny fragments of bone out for a day or two.
12 MPH.

Based on what measurement?
Speed my legs were going on my favourite 90" gear related to long hours staring at a Cateye Vectra when the wind was blowing and my head was down^_^ Can do the same looking at how fast the grease port is turning on the front hub.:laugh: I think I am probably on some spectrum, I am addicted to counting things.
Certainly wouldn't stand up in court.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What you land on and how you land too. I was catapulted over the bars of my bike by arrogantly trying to steer out of a slipped on gravel front wheel when I should have just gone down and taken the rash.
Speed was probably 12 MPH but the front wheel ended up at 90 degrees and the back end overtook the front almost vertically.
My feet I could not employ because of toe straps and I was dumped head and shoulders on tarmac. Both collar bones broken (again) scaphoid bone left hand, three teeth broken and one missing, hole in upper lip, fractured jaw and spitting tiny fragments of bone out for a day or two.
12 MPH.

13 MPH (proved by garmin) car turned across me. Bike catapulted, but fine. Me not. The sudden stop busted my spine badly and 4 ribs. Not much fun.

hatler

Guru
I wonder what the sentence would have been had the assailant been in a car and the injuries to the cyclist the same.

I can't help but think it wouldn't even have involved a custodial sentence.

Top Bottom