Company director jailed for pushing e-cyclist off his bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
He thought the cyclist was going too fast when he went past him and his wife, in fact he was travelling at 12mph:

Mod Note:
Iffy link removed. Is there one from a reputable source, @Cycleops, your link was not secure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your link opens lots of windows on my phone. Is it reported elsewhere ?

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
There were a few uncomplimentary comments but the majority thought the sentence was too lax. One said they should correct their headline which suggests he was going too fast when in fact he was not.

Sorry guys I think it was maybe a Chinese site :sad:

The woman nearly got jailed too for perverting the course of justice but coughed to the lesser charge of assisting an offender so just a fine.

Last edited:
The woman nearly got jailed too for perverting the course of justice
Jails are plenty full but the weak sanction caused my eyebrows to raise.
Had things been slightly different her porkies might have excused the anger issues man.

winjim

Smash the cistern
The defence lawyer is a right charmer, suggesting that if the victim of his client's assault had been going slower he wouldn't have been hurt so badly. They're down in the gutter with estate agents and insurers.
He may or may not be correct, but at the point where his client lifts the man off the ground and throws him back down, having already knocked him from the bike, it becomes completely irrelevant.

Defence said "If he had been almost stationary he would not have suffered such injury."
Always travel slowly when you expect to be punched or hurled off your mount.
Or run into a car that pulled out in front of you
if you are stationary then you are much less likely to run into a car that pulls out in front of you
probably you fault for moving really

I presume that people will recognise sarcasm???

Interesting that they have the precise speeds in the report. I have to say that from a quick glance at streetview, 23mph seems far too fast to be passing dog walkers on what seems like a fairly narrow path.
Interesting that they have the precise speeds in the report. I have to say that from a quick glance at streetview, 23mph seems far too fast to be passing dog walkers on what seems like a fairly narrow path.
I agree - especially as an ebike has a motor cut off at 15.5 mph
Are you sure you do not mean 23 kph
the article I was looking at didn't mention 23 anything

OK - found it - it says 23 mph - in which case he was going to fast for a shared path with people on it - or even possibly people on it.
but it also says he was doing 7.5 mph as he rode between them
which is pretty slow

dunno where the 23 comes from - but if he accelerated up to 23 mph on a nice long strait stretch with no walker - fine
but it would require proper effort as the motor would be inactive - and the bike is HEAVY

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
I agree - especially as an ebike has a motor cut off at 15.5 mph
Are you sure you do not mean 23 kph
the article I was looking at didn't mention 23 anything
Article says mph but kph would seem more reasonable. 23mph is a fair lick on any bike.

From the Coventry Observer link posted upthread.

Top Bottom