Compatibile gear shifter, front and rear derailleur?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spartanawoo

Hi Everyone,

I really value your expertise, and I have read and watched a lot of videos on this but don't know the answer. What shifter, front and rear derailleur are compatible with this old Huffy mountain bike?

Appreciate your time!
Nick

Attachments

• PHOTO_20200603_192809.jpg
    PHOTO_20200603_192809.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 5
  • PHOTO_20200603_192841.jpg
    PHOTO_20200603_192841.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 6
  • PHOTO_20200603_192847.jpg
    PHOTO_20200603_192847.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 7
  • PHOTO_20200603_192853.jpg
    PHOTO_20200603_192853.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 6

si_c

Guru
Looks like a fairly standard 7 speed setup - so pretty much anything should work as long as it's 7 speed, Shimano Tourney springs to mind.

Any particular reason you are looking to replace what's on their currently?

OP
OP
S

spartanawoo

Looks like a fairly standard 7 speed setup - so pretty much anything should work as long as it's 7 speed, Shimano Tourney springs to mind.

Any particular reason you are looking to replace what's on their currently?

Thanks si_c for your help... I REALLY appreciate it!!! :notworthy:

The front derailleur is broken and causes the the chain to be permanently stuck on the smallest sprocket. The rear derailleur seems fine (i think) and may just need adjustment but I figured it would be nice to get a nice more modern one like the Tourney. In addition, I am really curious in learning how to replace the whole shifters, cables and front/rear derailleurs. It sounds really fun...however, my only fear is that I don't know what parts are compatible with my bike, hence the reason I am coming to you experts! ^_^

If I replaced the front and rear derailleurs with Tourney, do you think I should or must change the gear shifters? If yes, what gear shifters would you recommend I choose?

Thanks again for your advice si_c! Sooo appreciate it!
Nick

Ajax Bay

Guru
replace the whole shifters, cables and front/rear derailleurs.
As @si_c has said the Tourney option offers a 3x7 speed gear system. The shifters slide on the bars (so the grips have to come off first, obv). There's a 'compatibility issue' for the FD which clamps on (probably; there are other configurations) to the down tube. So you need to find out the latter's diameter (measure circumference and divide by pi). 28.6mm or 31.8mm are common clamp sizes. You have a 'down pull' FD (cable comes up from below). Key items to check before purchase.
Your current RD seems to be secured with an adapter claw on the right dropout or it has an integrated one. If the latter, you need to get one like that to replace it (if you need to (why?). If the former, any old RD should just screw in.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/DERAILLEUR-HANGER-ADAPTOR-TYPES-SHIMANO/dp/B01J4723P4

(This is to offer the OP an image, not a recommendation for this item.)
I recommend you keep things simple and replace JUST the (broken) FD, and replace the cables (and outers) as a step towards competence: rather than wholesale replacements.

Top Bottom