Compatibility between Alivio and Deore drivetrains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Iorek

Hello,

I am trying to put together a nice set of gears for my new touring/commuting build. The bike will be built by my LBS, but I am picking components and trying to figure out the compatibility between these two groupsets.

For my chainset and cassette, I think I would like to with Alivio FC-4010 (44-32-22) and 9 speed CS-HG400-9 (11-13-15-17-20-23-26-30-36T), but I would like to use Deore derailleurs and shifters. The current lineup of Deore is only for 10, 11 and 12 speeds and it is really hard to find new 9-speed Deore in stock (and price-wise it's similar to the current 10-speed Deore). Current Deore 3x10 lineup will give me similar lower gear inches and a bit wider range up top (but I don't care about the high gear inches).

Can I use 3x9 Alivio chainset and cassette with Deore 10-speed derailleurs and shifters? Will it work well off the hook? Or should I just go for 3x10 drivetrain, all Deore? It will be more than double the price for the chainset and cassette, but if it works straight away and will work reliably, I am OK to pay for it.

Or maybe I should go for full Alivio, including shifters and derailleurs? My main reason for going Deore is (perceived?) reliability and adjustability, but I don't have any points of comparison, as my current bike of 5 years is a drop bar 2x10 Tiagra...

Any other suggestions welcome, I am learning as I go :-)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A 10 speed shifter won't shift well on a 9 speed cassette. The chainset will work if you went to 10 speed shifters, mech and cassette. So the additional cost is £40 or so for a 10 speed cassette.

OP
OP
Iorek

Iorek

After more deliberations I am (finally?) leaning towards this combination:

Chainset Alivio FC-4010 44-32-22
Cassette Deore CS-HG50-10 11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-36T

I could go all the way to 11-42T Deore cassette, but it looks like there is only one model of Deore rear derailleur that would accommodate 42T sprocket (RD-M6000-GS). The above Alivio-Deore 11-36T combination is much cheaper than with the 11-42T and it gives me similarly useful range (650%) and very nice low gear inches (16.6 and 18.7).

Top Bottom