Competition thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hobbitonabike

Formerly EbonyWillow
Ooh will keep an eye on this...love a comp...haven't won much but little bit of excitement lol
And of course will add any comps I see that haven't been posted already :biggrin:

Lance Jack

Über Member
A while back I was a bit of a competition nut, did every competition going, and I did win enough to make it worth my while. There was a bit of a system to winning though, and this is how I did it.

Enter every competition going, don't worry if it's a small local competition or a great big national one. Even if it is for something you don't even want, enter it because you may not want the prize but you could sell it. The best odds, by that I mean the fewest people to enter will be local competitions, your local paper, local radio, village fete, etc. There maybe only a couple of hundred people enter so you have the odds of 200:1 on winning. Still enter the large competitions, somebody has to win.
Read the rules. Sometimes you can only enter once, multiple entries maybe banned. If not, enter as many times as you like but stagger the entries. If the closing date is in four months enter four times spread over the month, with the last one to arrive the day before or on the closing date. Your entries will be spread through the postbag, the person to pick the winning card out will put their hand in and pick the card out, no matter how deep their hand goes your card will have a good chance of being picked. Don't enter on a plain white postcard, pick the brightest card going or better still, find a postcard with a picture that relates to the competition. If you are entering a competition to win a cycle then send a card with a cycle on it. You have got to make sure that your card is the one that stands out, the one that really catches the persons eye. Now, multiple entries, if you really want to win and it's one entry per person then send in the entries in other names. I use my parents, my sisters, my in-laws, etc.
Some competitions require a "tie breaker". A snappy line/sentence about the product to be won. These have a lower turnout as a bit of thought has to go in. The line that was popular was "Designed and refined with ******* in mind" The ********* would be a word relating to the item, performance, cycling, etc. Think about the sentence you are writing. It has to show the product in a good way and be snappy, as you say it it just roles off the tongue.
You may have to buy the product and send in the receipt. This will also have a small amount of entries. OK if you want the item that needs buying, not so good if you have to buy a new washing machine and there is nothing wrong with the one you have. This works better when the item is a few pounds and you are going to use it/eat it. But, do you know somebody who has bought, or going to buy, that big item? Get the receipt from them.
Join a competition club! Sounds strange but you meet up once a month and swap entry forms you have collected. In a way, this page has become our own competition club where we let each other know of competitions.
Entering this way I won two Playstations, a Raleigh cycle, days out, a hot air balloon ride, shoes and all sorts of smaller things. I even won a pack of six condoms and a bar of soap! A friend of mine won £7000 worth of holiday vouchers. That was just by entering every competition. I was winning more than I was spending on postage so I was happy.
Some competitions are luck and some have some skill involved but you can increase your chances sometimes.
Treat competitions as a bit of fun and good luck!

Edited; Added a link to a story of a woman who enters every competition going and has won over a £100,000 in prizes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...D-contests-day-lands-100-000-haul-prizes.html

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Win Chris Froome's Pinarello, worth £10,000! Competition closes at 20.59 on Sat, Sept. 28, 2013. Enter here.

(NB There is a strange, and possibly unenforceable restriction that "The prize cannot be sold or auctioned". Froome is 6 feet tall, so if you are going to ride the bike, you need to be roughly that height!)

ColinJ

[Come on folks - am I the only one actually finding any competitions! :thumbsup:]

Win a Brompton worth £1,000. Enter here. Closes midnight 01/10/13.

ColinJ

Competition site said:
Don't miss your chance to win a fantastic prize being offered by Silverline Tools and GT Factory Racing. One lucky winner will win the following bike gear:
  • GT Avalanche 2.0 Mountain Bike (Signed by GT Factory Racing)
  • One Industries S/S Tee (RRP £35)
  • One Industries XC Short (RRP £55)
  • One Industries Cycling Gloves (RRP £25)
  • 661 Recon Helmet (RRP £64.99)
  • Silverline Pressure Washer (RRP £59.99)
  • A selection of Silverline Tools (Up to the value of £70)
Enter here. Closes October 31st, 2013.

ColinJ

Competition site on facebook said:
Sprint your way to Grand Départ 2014 Team Presentation tickets

To celebrate the Grand Départ of the Tour de France coming to Yorkshire, we're giving you the chance to win tickets to the exciting Team Presentation on 3rd July 2014. For a chance to win we are asking you to submit your best photo of your sprint face, as you push your way the finish line, Mark Cavendish style. The photo with the most votes at the end of the competition wins!
Link. Closes Friday,18th October, 2013 at 22:59.

Top Bottom