Complete overhaul or new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Widge

Baldy Go
:stop: OMG David.............:ohmy:.................City Jets are designed to run at about 80 psi!!!!

Maybe you could get away with 60-65 psi?...........

But LESS than 35 is asking for trouble. Both tyres 'could' possibbly squirm their way off the rims the moment you take a corner at speed. I don't know..........I don't know anybody who's tried it! If you survive the accident...you will likely have pinch-punctures a-go-go.

PLEASE RETHINK YOUR TYRE PRESSURE PHILOSOPHY :wacko:

Seriously!

w

Last edited:

Widge

Baldy Go
PS.....the recommended tyre pressure is on the side of the tyre in large raised print...and all over the web and the manufacturers website.

THE WHOLE POINT OF CITY JETS is that they are profiled to a narrow(ish) contact point and pumped to near 'road' tyre pressures. You will still have plenty of traction on-road....way more than if you were to use softer 'nobblies'. If you wanted to use such low pressures (presumably for harsh and highly technical conditions off-road traction) I would never have recommended a road specific tyre for you.

I DO hope you are not trolling us?:whistle:

^_^
w

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've come to realise that I have to be careful using my v-brakes. Only a light pull on the brakes and they stop me. I nearly tipped over when I pressed my front brake!!!!
Would I be right in thinking that when you changed to V brakes you only changed the brakes and not the levers as well? Canti brake levers aren't compatible with V brakes as the amount of cable they pull is different and they make the brakes over-sensitive as described.

With the tyres, they will work best if pumped up properly. Schwalbe usually have a minimum and maximum pressure marked on the sidewall.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F
PS.....the recommended tyre pressure is on the side of the tyre in large raised print...and all over the web and the manufacturers website.

THE WHOLE POINT OF CITY JETS is that they are profiled to a narrow(ish) contact point and pumped to near 'road' tyre pressures. You will still have plenty of traction on-road....way more than if you were to use softer 'nobblies'. If you wanted to use such low pressures (presumably for harsh and highly technical conditions off-road traction) I would never have recommended a road specific tyre for you.

I DO hope you are not trolling us?:whistle:

^_^
w

Like I'm going to pump the tyres to high, I'm already finding it difficult pumping them to 35psi !

I've never had slicks before.

Why would you say that? I don't troll websites and I never will!!!!:gun:

Would I be right in thinking that when you changed to V brakes you only changed the brakes and not the levers as well? Canti levers aren't compatible with V brakes as the amount of cable they pull is different and they make the brakes over-sensitive as described.

With the tyres, they will work best if pumped up properly. Schwalbe usually have a minimum and maximum pressure marked on the sidewall.

Nope I changed the levers too.

The tyres say to INFLATE TO 85 PSI MAXIMUM 6.0 Bar (No idea what bars are because I don't use them)

Edit: I'll sort tyres out tomorrow.

Last edited:

Widge

Baldy Go
Hi David..........I've looked around at some images of your bikes original brakes and-as Phil points out - they were canti brakes. If you didn't change the levers to 'v' brake compatable levers you will have 'all-or-nothing' brakes with no proper modulation...........but this would have been picked up by whoever serviced it I'm sure.....If so-then it is (hopefully) just a case of letting the new pads 'bed in' from new. New pads can be a little grabby when new. I hope this the case.

w

Widge

Baldy Go
No...I wasn't SERIOuSLY suggesting you were trolling! :smile:.....I was just keen to stop you riding with seriously under inflated tyres! They can be dangerous and unpredictable. 85psi is a recommended maximum (ie-more than twice where you you have them at the moment. This sort of pressure is what makes them such a quick and easy rolling road tyre so to inflate them to just 30pssi or so would negate a lot of their advantage. I use them myself. Only trying to help. :sad:

I'm also not suggesting you are over inflating them......quite the opposite in fact.

w

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Nope I changed the levers too.
In that case, assuming you were sold the correct ones it sounds like you just need to get used to them.

The tyres say to INFLATE TO 85 PSI MAXIMUM 6.0 Bar (No idea what bars are because I don't use them)
Same as the Marathons I have on my bike. Personal preference here is to run 65psi front, 70psi rear. If you have car type (Schraeder) valves on your tubes a car foot pump will manage those pressures, but a better solution is to get a good track pump.:thumbsup:

(Incidentally, a bar is a measure of atmospheric pressure and is roughly 14.5psi)

OP
OP
F
The photos I've posted only show v-brakes. On the brake levers they say the'yre v-brakes and by shimano. I threw the only cantilevers out 2 years ago.

I have a electric car tyre pump with a gauge. Will this do?

I just can't spend any more money on anything else right now since I'm not working.

Widge

Baldy Go
Yup...a little over over 65psi is how I like to keep mine too......a good compromise for some of the rougher lanes around here. 85psi is certainly hard and quick...but a bit tooth rattly! I wouldn't like to have to put that amount of air in with just a mini-pump. Track pump is the way to go and they don't usually cost too much either. Most garages warn people away from using their high pressure lines.....health and safety issues I suspect....plus....garage lines are not really designed for such high pressures..........but my friendly local doesn't bat an eyelid when I go for a top-up. High pressure lines are a bit brutal though.

Widge

Baldy Go
The photos I've posted only show v-brakes. On the brake levers they say the'yre v-brakes and by shimano. I threw the only cantilevers out 2 years ago.

I have a electric car tyre pump with a gauge. Will this do?

I just can't spend any more money on anything else right now since I'm not working.

Hi David...No....I meant I've been looking at other pictures of your make of bike on the web......

Electric pump worth a go...I've never used one.......it may not go quite high enough though. Let us know?

Top Bottom