Compression Clothes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
Does anyone have any experience/opinions of compression clothing, especially tights and jerseys?

In my search to find bib tights for the warmer days, to replace my winter tights, it appears compression bib tights maybe an answer.

Garz

Squat Member
Hmm I thought this clothing was aimed at improving recovery between rides and not chiefly for riding in?

Garz

Squat Member
On that subject Gaz, will the skin eventually taught-en up or is surgery the only option?

GrasB

Veteran
Compression base layers on the upper body are great for keeping vibration induced fatigue down. I'm not a fan of compression on the lower body when cycling however it works well as a recovery option, I tend to wear skinz recovery compression tights under very lightweight trousers most of the day at work & it really helps keep my legs fresher for the ride home.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I wear a compression top under my normal cycle top. Bottom half wear bib three quarters if cool but too hot for full winter bib longs. I don't think I would want wear compression bottoms as well as lycra bibs, too tight I would have thought.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
Hmm I thought this clothing was aimed at improving recovery between rides and not chiefly for riding in?

I was on the Skins website and they have compression clothing for cycling and compression clothing for recovery.
It seems triathletes use compression clothing for cycling, apparently us cyclists are missing out on something.
Further investigation is required with an email to some companies about their products.

GrasB

Veteran
BSRU, from my point of view most studies on the subject they generally say compression wear has little to no effect on performance. Compression wear for support is one thing but performance enhancement is very debatable (my personal experience is compression wear leads to a performance drop not gain).

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
BSRU, from my point of view most studies on the subject they generally say compression wear has little to no effect on performance. Compression wear for support is one thing but performance enhancement is very debatable (my personal experience is compression wear leads to a performance drop not gain).

I wasn't actually looking to for any performance improvement, just something to keep my legs covered in the warmer weather.
Reading about compression clothing I am more inclined not to go down that path.

GrasB

Veteran
I've generally found that compression wear works for warmth ONLY if it's under something, the materials its self is very open to the wind (by design?) so isn't good on its own but works effectively as a trapping layer under something which is more windproof such as lightweight arm warmers (I find compression + summer arm warmers better than fleeced lycra until I need something truly windproof).

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
On that subject Gaz, will the skin eventually taught-en up or is surgery the only option?

Sadly, surgery is the only option when you have lost as much as I have, but the NHS dont want to give me the surgery and I cant afford it privately, so I am stuck.......

chrishodges

Compression gear is worn by many different sports people as it is believed that it can help prevent injury.
Compression shorts can help prevent any hamstring / quad injuries, or calf if you are wearing full length, but can also be used for recovery.

I haven't tried using compression shorts as I haven't been prone to upper leg injuries but I know people who have and they say it si helped.

Whether it is psychological or not is a different question!!!!!

Noodley

I started wearing compression top and shorts a few months ago when I was having health problems leading to muscle fatigue and pain, and they helped support the muscles and lessen the pain...now that I am recovering I wear them as often as possible when exercising as I find they help lessen muscle fatigue. I wear them under cycling clothing. I also have recovery tights but have not used them for ages as I have not built up to a level which would require any kind of recovery yet! But when I was cycling longish distances I found they really helped recovery.

400bhp

Guru
Sadly, surgery is the only option when you have lost as much as I have, but the NHS dont want to give me the surgery and I cant afford it privately, so I am stuck.......

Stop spending bloody money on excess bikes and remove the excess skin. :whistle:

Top Bottom