Compression less Brake Housing, and a cutter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlesF

Guru
My Genesis CdF has Hayes CX Expert cable disk brakes. I have been told that fitting compressionless housings will improve their performance.

Is this true that there would be a noticeable difference, and are the Jagwire Pro kits the best option?

Another question, is there a cheap but good cutter for the inners and housings; the ones I have found seem very expensive for a tool that will be very seldom used.

As usual, all help gratefully received!

chriscross1966

Über Member
I bought an X-Tools one from the LBS for around 12 quid... you can get cheaper online, but add the postage...., it has been plenty good enough to deal with the high-end Jagwire kit I use on my Bromptons (Road Elite on the daily rider, the Elite Link inners and liners on the shiny one, Road Pro on the Campy Deltas on the silly racing Brompton...) as well as the slightly lower end Jagwire that I put on bikes I intend to sell...A Bradawl is a handy thing when you're playing with lined cables like Road Pro/Elite/Link....

winjim

Smash the cistern
A bradawl has a chisel shaped tip, like a screwdriver. A gimlet has a pointed tip with a few threads on it. I don't know what a tool with a plain conical tip is called.
Just an awl I think.

Venod

Eh up
View attachment 423321
I don't know what a tool with a plain conical tip is called

I use a Scriber.

PRI122.jpg

si_c

Guru
Braking will be a bit more immediate and a little less mushy feeling - you'll feel like you have a bit more control. That being said you won't get any improvement in peak braking power as the brake housing will reach max compression before then.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Won't the bike already have compressionless outer?

Genesis original equipment may be cheap and cheerful, so I suppose there's a chance something branded such as Jagwire will perform marginally better.

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
Hmmm, hadn't thought of that, I will check and see if the housing has coils under the covering.

The idea to change is more because I can't justify a new bike, so thought some changes would be a good idea. If I can get replacement decals I'll respray the frame.

Top Bottom