Compression less Brake Housing, and a cutter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Thinking about it, if you really want to improve the braking performance, you're probably best replacing those brake calipers. AIUI the CX Experts are single piston mechanical disc brakes, which means that when you pull the lever the left side move inwards pushing against the rotor, and effectively bending it to push it into contact with the right hand disc pad.

TRP Spyres or Rever MCX would both be excellent replacements which are dual piston design - meaning the pads push against the rotor from both sides simultaneously - giving more immediate feedback and much better control and overall power.

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
Thinking about it, if you really want to improve the braking performance, you're probably best replacing those brake calipers. AIUI the CX Experts are single piston mechanical disc brakes, which means that when you pull the lever the left side move inwards pushing against the rotor, and effectively bending it to push it into contact with the right hand disc pad.

TRP Spyres or Rever MCX would both be excellent replacements which are dual piston design - meaning the pads push against the rotor from both sides simultaneously - giving more immediate feedback and much better control and overall power.

Thanks for that it's a excellent point (which I did know but have ignored), maybe I should spend a bit more and do it properly. I assume that I should still go down the compressionless route

chriscross1966

Über Member

Can confirm, Spyres are awesome, as easy to install as the easiest rim caliper, easy to set up and massive progressive controllable power.

si_c

Guru
Will they be a direct replacement of the Hayes, and I suppose I buy the flat mount version.

I looked on my usual sites Wiggle CRC and both say the Spyres are discontinued. I did find them on AliExpress.
The Spyre is the old version - they have the Spyre SLC now which is more or less the same RRP, but a little lighter with no difference in braking - I think it has a carbon actuation arm instead of aluminium alloy.

You can still find the standard Spyre around, I'm pretty sure Merlin Cycles have them in most of the time.

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
Thanks si_c, Merlin do have both versions, I think I original version is good enough for me at £45 each.

si_c

Guru
Thanks si_c, Merlin do have both versions, I think I original version is good enough for me at £45 each.

I just checked and you're right, that's a bit of a bargain!

Also worth a look is Planet X currently have the Rever Havit steeply discounted at £25, and they are basically the same as the Rever MCX1 - this has great braking performance - almost exactly the same as the Spyre, but the lever stroke is a bit grabbier than the Spyre, which is something I tend to prefer. Definitely worth a look.

Same applies as to the Spyres though, in that they need compressionless housing.

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
Thanks to everyone for their help.

I have bought Jagwire Road Pro cable kit from High On Bikes and a set of TRP Spyres from Planet X. And bar tape, which I nearly forgot.

Now waiting for it all to arrive.

Top Bottom