compressor safty valve

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

busdennis

Veteran
ive got an old 50ltr tank compressor i know you can buy an adaptor to use with presta valves but can you get an adaptor with a safty valve so you carnt over inflate the tyre or even set it for an accurate inflation

Davidc

Guru
I use an electric compressor and bought a gauge at a car accessories shop. It only goes up to 100 psi though. Not sure about a safety valve, I don't use one, just watch the gauge.

You might be able to scrounge a second hand gauge from someone with a broken track pump.

The safety value should be on the 50ltr tank not on the flexible connection for the tyre; there's a lot of stored energy in compressed air, if you're not certain about the tank it's worth getting it inspected before using it. Failure of the tank could lead to serious injury or worse.

HovR

Über Member
What ArDee said. There should be a safety air release valve on the tank that releases its contents (into the atmosphere, not the tire) at a given pressure to prevent the tank from becoming over pressurized.

Buy an adapter for the end of the hose that has a gauge so you can monitor the tire pressure as it increases and manually stop it. No need for an automatic jobby for this, it'd just be more hassle than it's worth due to varying pressures between different tire models, front/rear, sizes etc.

The compressor won't inflate the tire so quickly that you can not control it unless you allow the pressure of the tank to reach high/unsafe levels.

Proto

Legendary Member
I doubt your compressor will produce more than 8 bar ~ 120 psi, so should be fine for inflating narrow 700c tyres without regulation.

As already said, if in doubt, get the tank examined.

Top Bottom