Compromise to clip in pedals on a road bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
There must be people here who remember old clips with cleats on leather shoes riding fixed with the straps really tight heaving your way up the last few feet of a climb and wondering to abort or not (a controlled sideways dismount on a soft verge) because you wouldn't have got the strap undone quickly enough!

Sharky

Guru
There must be people here who remember old clips with cleats on leather shoes riding fixed with the straps really tight heaving your way up the last few feet of a climb and wondering to abort or not (a controlled sideways dismount on a soft verge) because you wouldn't have got the strap undone quickly enough!
Yep and tightening up straps on fixed is an art as well.

I use SPD’s and nothing to add to this thread other than very nice looking bike:okay: Enjoy the ride however you choose to clip, strap in

Exlaser2

Veteran
Shimano have different cleats for different float ranges ... maybe the ones you tried were fixed ? ... the red SPD-SL are. I use blue which have 2’ of float either side of straight and there are at least yellow offering 3’ and maybe more ....

I’ve never really tried road pedals . I prefer mtb type petals , I like to be able to walk lol. The problem I have is , with spd I have no problems uncleating but after any ride over 20 miles my knees hurt how ever I set the cleats. But with all other types I have tried that have more float , my knees are fine but I have difficulty uncleating because I lack ankle flexibility. When I was younger it didn’t bother me . I am now nearly 60 and I find I am just worrying about it more and more.
What I need is a pedals/cleats system that has float but doesn’t need me to be able to flick my heels out to uncleat.
But no such system exists as far as I am aware. Which is why I am definitely going back to toeclips once I start cycling outside again in the spring .

Exlaser2

Veteran
Have you considered SH56 multi release cleats? Like SPD but easier to disengage. I bought some by mistake some time ago and as I recall they were just like ordinary SPDs but engagement was a bit "squashy" rather than "clicky" and very easy to release. I still have them on a bike that I never ride.

I'm not sure if it is just the cleat that is multi-release or whether it's the pedal too. The ones I bought were a job lot pedal+cleats.

These were the cleats I have used. My problem with spd is not uncleating , in that regard they are perfect. BUT they give me knee pain if i cycle any distance. 🙁

After that I moved onto time atac which were great for my knees but were quite difficult to uncleat because of the spring tension and I used them for about a decade, but as my ankles got stiffer I had more and more problems uncleating and I had to look for another solution.
So for the last decade I have use Speedplay Frogs they have unlimited float and no spring tension at all . They have been great but now I am even having trouble uncleating from them . 🙁

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
These were the cleats I have used. My problem with spd is not uncleating , in that regard they are perfect. BUT they give me knee pain if i cycle any distance. 🙁
The cleats could be a red herring.
Other causes could be saddle too low.
Cold weather - presume knees are covered

Re cleats - does the float allow foot movement clockwise and anti clockwise?

Exlaser2

Veteran
The cleats could be a red herring.
Other causes could be saddle too low.
Cold weather - presume knees are covered

Re cleats - does the float allow foot movement clockwise and anti clockwise?

Cheers but I went though all those things, even had a bike fit . I really wanted them to work , kept with them for a year . But the bottom line is in 55 years of cycling the only time I have ever had knee pain was when I used spd.

The trouble is I now need a system that I can put straight out of with out having twist my heel out. The trouble is the only system I have found that does this is spd. QED lol.
It’s fine I rode with flats and toeclips for 20 years , I can do it again . It’s just I will miss being clipless .

Just so I have covered all the bases before I go back to flats , has anyone have any experience of Eggbeaters ?

Last edited:
I've just bought a new road bike and had the same concerns. I went for some half and half pedals.

I went out for the first time with the cleats in my shoes on Boxing Day. I started clipping in on the long sections where I knew I was unlikely to need to put my foot down, and I noticed a real difference in terms of getting more return for the effort being put in. I made sure the shop set the pedals at the lowest tension, and by halfway through the ride was unintentionally clipping in when pushing off from traffic lights etc. I guess I'll need to be mindful of that going forward.

It will clearly take a while to get used to them, and everyone on here (in the other threads on this subject) make it clear, I/you will topple over at some point.

I'm not sure how advisable it is, but for parts of my first ride I only kept one foot clipped in. And when I had both clipped in I made sure, when I was approaching a stopping point I unclipped one foot well in advance.

Time will tell but I liked the feeling of a more direct feel between foot and pedal.

For my commuting bike - I use these which are brilliant

https://www.fawkes-cycles.co.uk/132...oJq2g7dChs2mkIgmIUimodHzNWTQMOwBoCre8QAvD_BwE

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I am new to cycling and not confident enough to be able to clip in or mainly out of the pedals. I am looking for recommendations for a good compromise for my bike.

Just avoid the damn things and ride with flat pedals and wear normal footwear. I've been riding bikes for getting on for 50 years and I've never yet seen any need to use either clipless or toestraps.
It's just another manifestation of all the "you aren't a proper cyclist unless you wear cycling shoes/lycra/padded shorts/cycling jerseys/goggles/helmets" etc nonsense.

Last edited:

Rocky

Hello decadence
Alternative views to Skippy are allowed - don't forget he comes from the 1930s and cycling has moved on quite a bit since he was a youth. Also ignore his 'nonsense' jibes - what is nonsense to him, is usually sensible to the rest of us.

I use SPD pedals - they are much more comfortable and more efficient than flat pedals. I have been riding with them since I first saw clip pedals in France in 1986. I'd recommend getting something like this. You can also get some Shimano touring shoes which you can walk in too.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The OP is pictured wearing casual gear; regular shorts, polo shirt, bodywarmer, and what appear to be some sort of trainers. Why would anyone think clipless pedals are a real requirement for someone who just wears casual outdoor garb?

Rocky

Hello decadence
The OP is pictured wearing casual gear; regular shorts, polo shirt, bodywarmer, and what appear to be some sort of trainers. Why would anyone think clipless pedals are a real requirement for someone who just wears casual outdoor garb?
Well that’s what I wear when cycling and I use Shimano touring shoes. I’m happy with that get up - I’ve commuted, I’ve raced, I’ve toured, I’ve trained and I’ve pottered around on bikes for nearly 60 years.

Top Bottom