Compromise to clip in pedals on a road bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Uphillard

I am new to cycling and not confident enough to be able to clip in or mainly out of the pedals. I am looking for recommendations for a good compromise for my bike. I was thinking old school toe clips for now but all i can find are cheap examples.

Sharky

Guru
Google Christophe toe clips and leather toe straps.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've used both systems and I'd say that you are more likely to have a problem with toeclips/straps than you are with clipless systems! It doesn't take long to get used to clipless, and after that you are unlikely to swap back. (I know one or two people who did revert, but the vast majority didn't!)

In the odd emergency situation I have had a fright trying to get my foot off a clipless pedal but I have actually toppled sideways with my feet still strapped in on the older system! :eek:

As a compromise... why not try half clips like THESE?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I've used both systems and I'd say that you are more likely to have a problem with toeclips/straps than you are with clipless systems! It doesn't take long to get used to clipless, and after that you are unlikely to swap back. (I know one or two people who did revert, but the vast majority didn't!)

In the odd emergency situation I have had a fright trying to get my foot off a clipless pedal but I have actually toppled sideways with my feet still strapped in on the older system! :eek:

As a compromise... why not try half clips like THESE?
Never had a problem with toe clips and straps. The only time I toppled over was with clipless which I had for about 3 years before getting rid of them.

When clipless pedals were first introduced c1990 they were described as safety pedals. the theory being that if/when you come off your bike your feet immediately get released from the pedals. It works. As I've found out many times!
Toe clips and straps keep you firmly affixed to your bike and there is no release. Even when you come to a halt it is PIA to get your feet free....unless you don't have the straps done up tight, in which case there is no point in having them.
You wouldn't buy a black and white TV because that's what you grew up with.
OP is new to cycling. He has a decent bike. Spend an hour riding on a soft surface and learn the technique. It's all in the mind.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Never had a problem with toe clips and straps. The only time I toppled over was with clipless which I had for about 3 years before getting rid of them.
In that case, you can't have done the straps up! ***

Two examples that happened to me...

A 25% climb, a damp road, the back wheel slid out, absolutely no time to reach down to loosen straps, couldn't get my feet off the pedals - BANG, I'm down! :wacko:

Riding along at a decent pace when some idiot shot out of a side road just in front of me without looking... Emergency braking, absolutely no time to reach down to loosen straps, couldn't get my feet off the pedals - BANG, I'm down! :wacko:

The biggest problem with clipless is people having the release tensions too high. In that scenario - yes - BIG problem! I set mine to minimum, and that eliminated the issue.

*** If you DID ride with straps done up, I fail to see how it can be quicker and easier to reach down to loosen a strap in an emergency than it is to just twist a foot to unclip.

the theory being that if/when you come off your bike your feet immediately get released from the pedals. It works
I agree & getting my cleat tension just right, is key

In that case, you can't have done the straps up! ***
The biggest problem with clipless is people having the release tensions too high. In that scenario - yes - BIG problem! I set mine to minimum, and that eliminated the issue.

*** If you DID ride with straps done up, I fail to see how it can be quicker and easier to reach down to loosen a strap in an emergency than it is to just twist a foot to unclip.

Spot on.
To ride with toe straps "correctly" you need smooth soled shoes with a metal plate fixed to the bottom. A groove in the plate sits over the cage of the pedal. Do your straps up tight and there's no way you are going to get released quickly.
Old school technology superseded by safer and more reliable equipment.

I've just bought a new road bike and had the same concerns. I went for some half and half pedals.

I went out for the first time with the cleats in my shoes on Boxing Day. I started clipping in on the long sections where I knew I was unlikely to need to put my foot down, and I noticed a real difference in terms of getting more return for the effort being put in. I made sure the shop set the pedals at the lowest tension, and by halfway through the ride was unintentionally clipping in when pushing off from traffic lights etc. I guess I'll need to be mindful of that going forward.

It will clearly take a while to get used to them, and everyone on here (in the other threads on this subject) make it clear, I/you will topple over at some point.

I'm not sure how advisable it is, but for parts of my first ride I only kept one foot clipped in. And when I had both clipped in I made sure, when I was approaching a stopping point I unclipped one foot well in advance.

Time will tell but I liked the feeling of a more direct feel between foot and pedal.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I was a little apprehensive about the clipless pedals when I first got them. But I took about a half hour leaning against a wall or something and just practiced clipping in and out over and over again. Got the hang of it in no time. I'm using mountain bike clipless pedals on both my mountain and road bikes. The reason is I don't want to have to have two different sets of shoes. I'm not racing and I'm not counting the ounces so the difference between a mountain and road pedal from a weight perspective is meaningless. I used the toe clips for a bit when I first got the mountain bike and before I was even able to ride on real trails. I didn't like them and actually came dangerously close to falling over due to not being able to get my feet out in time. I like being connected to the bike with clipless pedals and it is definitely a much more efficient ride. I would give them a try even though you're new to this. You have a nice road bike there so you deserve to use the appropriate gear.

Using toe clips "correctly" with slotted cleat on sole and straps cinched tight has been superceded by clipless systems for all high performance uses.
Using toe clips "incorrectly" with any old shoes and the straps lose has long been accepted for medium performance. You dont need to reach down and adjust the straps at all. Your shoe goes in and out of the toeclip without interference. I used to use them daily and could remove my feet during a slide if I wanted. If clipless riders could do this there would be no "clipless moments"
I used metal Christophe clips and leather straps with MKS sylvian touring pedals. You do need to match the grippyness of the pedals and tread for optimum medium performance but any combo can work.

Sharky

Guru

BITD when using toe clips and straps, you would have been wearing leather soled cycling shoes and these plates were nailed on. Getting the correct position was an art and the pedals came with a ridge in which the clip slotted into.

To be effective for climbing hills etc, you pulled the straps real tight. If you had to dismount in this situation, it was very difficult. For just riding, the straps are pulled tightish, but with scope to yank your foot out if needed. When very tight, blood circulation in the foot is restricted and becomes uncomfortable after a while.

The modern clip less pedals resolves all these issues. Just got to master stopping and starting which does not take that long, but you can be caught out if something unexpected happens. But that would have happened with the old system as well.

Top Bottom