Compromise to clip in pedals on a road bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Well that’s what I wear when cycling and I use Shimano touring shoes. I’m happy with that get up - I’ve commuted, I’ve raced, I’ve toured, I’ve trained and I’ve pottered around on bikes for nearly 60 years.
Yup, quite happy in jeans and SPD shoes.

goldcoastjon

I am new to cycling and not confident enough to be able to clip in or mainly out of the pedals. I am looking for recommendations for a good compromise for my bike. I was thinking old school toe clips for now but all i can find are cheap examples.what hppened

Uphillard,

I have been riding for 60 years and have ridden all kinds of pedals, from rubber platforms on a Phillips 3-speed to toeclips, straps, and Alloy TA cleats and Look clipless...

No one has yet asked you what happened with your clipless pedals. It will help us all to know:

1) which clipless pedal and shoes did you try?
2) Where did you purchase your bike, pedals, and shoes?
3) What, specifically, were the problems you had with them?
4) What steps did you take to deal with these issues over the three years that you had them?
(What was your experience with the clipless pedal and shoes like over that time?
What happened?)
- Do you have weak ankles that were not strong enough to clip in and out easily?
- Did you fall and get injured because you could not clip out?
- Did your return to your local bike shop (LBS) and ask for help with adjusting the settings and your technique? If so, how did that go?

As has been hinted at, the best place to try out clipless pedal (or toeclips and straps, for that matter) is on a soft lawn or soft dirt surface so you can avoid serious injury when you fall over --- and that happens to *everyone* the first time or three.

Since *every* cyclist falls eventually, I recommend taking a basic tumbling class to learn or refresh your "tuck and roll" technique before getting on a bike (again) or trying clipless pedals...

Remember: many people ride bikes their entire lives without clipless pedals, toeclips, or toe straps.

Not knowing the details of your experience, I would suggest riding with flat MTB pedals and NO toeclips or straps for a while so you can relax and lose your fear of
being clipped in/falling.

Then, if you want to, add half-clips without toe straps. (Don't rush.)

Move on to full toeclips and straps later, as you gain confidence, but KEEP YOUR TOESTRAPS LOOSE until you are comfortable managing them without thinking..

Stay away from toeclips, toestraps, and cleated shoes unless and until you decide that you LOVE them and know how to lift up, back, and out automatically. (At that point, unless your ankles are very weak laterally and you cannot twist out left -to-right at all, you are safer on clipless pedals that are correctly chosen and properly adjusted for your needs.)

Ride your own way, but RIDE!

Jon

View attachment 566389

Top Bottom