Compulsory lid legislation?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
What's wrong with the royal marines? ;)

They hold hands when marching.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Mod Plod hat on

Being the first of many generations of Bollos not to make a career out of killing my fellow man, I'm more than familiar with robust forces humour, but it might not be appreciated by everyone. This is also heading waaaay OT, so if we could steer it gently back I'd be grateful.

Pongo version ..... type words about helmets.:okay:

Ta.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
One difference is that there is evidence that the others are safety features, but the helmet evidence suggests helmets aren't on balance safety features
Nobody has ever produced a shred of statistical evidence to show that helmets have reduced deaths among cyclists by comparing before and after figures. In the only environment where such stats are readily available, professional cycle racing, they show zero as deaths from head injuries were so low as to not register at all.

There is plenty of evidence to show that seat belts had a favourable impact on car driver safety so comparing the two are like comparing apples and pears.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Not sure what the difference is tbh

The badger is less likely to fiddle his / her expenses?

Anyway, straying back somewhere near topic, I'll be opposing compulsory helmet wearing.
I choose to wear a helmet when cycling, but I'll defend the rights of my fellow cyclists to go headwear free if they wish.
And compulsory hi-viz? Really? Some muppet drove his truck into a low bridge festooned with hi-viz signage near here this morning. If he can't see a bloody railway bridge I doubt me wearing a yellow top is going to make much difference.

000a.JPG

(Credit https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/stuck-lorry-causes-traffic-disruption-in-leeds-1-8874966 )

A better idea to improve road safety might be compulsory eye tests every time a driving licence is renewed. Which would cost the government nothing as the driver could pay for it.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Damn and blast, can't edit...was going to add, if (and that's a huge if) would they go for 1078 or SNELL, or try and create a bespoke specification?

U

User32269

This was touched upon on a local radio phone in today. A truly wonderful 86 year old guy called in and was allowed to reminisce for ages about riding to Blackpool and back to Liverpool after work in the sixties. Riding to Exeter on a whim, and loads of brilliant tales of North Wales mountains. Genuinely heartwarming stuff.
Every other caller was a hardened cyclist hater. No lights. RLJs. Don't pay road tax. Etc etc etc. One caller had a burning hatred for uber delivery riders, complaining that the big box on their back was dangerous, then strangely, claiming he couldn't see them when he was driving!
The point of my waffle is don't discount legislation in the future. It could be seen as a vote winner to attempt to make us pirates on two wheels less of a danger to ourselves and others. Will be "just common sense" won't it!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Picking on a minority has always been a vote-winning tactic. They may ne immigrants, disabled, unemployed or cyclists, or owners of certain breeds of dogs. Those who know nothing about it get righteosly indignant and support whatever it is or buy newspapers decrying whoever the latest bogeyman is. It could be very tempting for a beleagured government to bring in such a measure

Top Bottom