Computer/GPS Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Currently, I am using my iPhone for tracking my rides using Strava. Its in my jersey pocket and I ride solo, so there's no motivation presently as nobody to keep up with and no speed display to spur me on.

So looking at a computer of some sort, but don't know which way to go?

Do I continue with the iPhone and just get something like the Cateye Strada Digital Wireless for seeing live speed?

Do I buy a case and mount for the iPhone?

Do I go for a GPS based computer and have 2 forms of recording my trips?

Ideally want Speed/Cadence sensor and my add HR later on.

Any advice and/or current bargains guys?

redcard

Veteran
Don't mess around with wireless or wired computers; get a Garmin Edge 200.

Ok. Any particular reason guys?
I don't know anything about the Cateye you mentioned, but the Garmin 200 simply works.

There are no particular bells and whistles with it, but if you want GPS, the ability to load routes into it and follow them and you're not bothered about heart rate monitoring, (HRM), or cadence, then buy a Garmin 200, you won't go wrong.

THIS one is for sale in the classifieds on here, although there does appear to be a sale pending. No problem with throwing your hat in the ring though in case that sale fall through. If not just keep your eyes on the FOR SALE section as they crop up fairly regularly when people decide they need to upgrade to the next one, (not necessary IMO though).

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Something tells me to get one with Cadence and HR ability, but am I just wasting money in that?

Thanks for the advice and links so far too.

Kies

Something tells me to get one with Cadence and HR ability, but am I just wasting money in that?

Thanks for the advice and links so far too.

Cadence and HR - hmm well yes if that tickles your fancy, for most cyclists the 200 will do just fine. If you are not sure then the Garmin edge 500 would be better suited.

Yup, unless you're doing serious training towards a serious goal.

IME, (and as a lifelong leisure rider doing rides between 20 and 100 miles in length), HR and cadence are both simply novelty features that you bore of very quickly.

uclown2002

Guru
Yup, unless you're doing serious training towards a serious goal.

IME, (and as a lifelong leisure rider doing rides between 20 and 100 miles in length), HR and cadence are both simply novelty features that you bore of very quickly.

I soon disconnected the cadence kit but I do like the HR, as it is a good indication of how hard or easy I'm working.

Tyke

You can get a cheap HR watch if your not bothered about it being built into the Garmin. Aldi had them last week for about £12 they probably still have a few they had loads.

The GArmin Edge series has a "virtual partner" in some form

Basically the computer uses a previous record for the route or the calculated timings and then compare them live with your present effort reporting which one is winning and by how much..... in other words you race yourself

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Decided to stop looking and just get the Garmin 200 on the strength of suggestions here. Appears to work on the Mac and compatible with Strava, so ideal.

Can anyone beat £84.65 at present? Also got a 10% off voucher for Halfords, so fingers crossed that they accept that on top.

Top Bottom