Computers:- T'interweb connections

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
My t'interweb keeps crashing, I'm on Talk Talk wireless, set up by the step daughter, cannot find the load up C.D. or any of the codes sent through the post, kids eh ?
Anyone else having an issue ?
Mind, if you are or not I may be unable to read your response !!

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
No use asking me. I've only just found out that IE stands for Internet Explorer. This is allegedly common knowledge. I am now trialling Mozarella Firefox on the recommendation of Dom Tyler. It seems to be working.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Not fancy a ride in the wind/rain/snow?

Some routers are unstable. Where I used to live my router was notoriously unstable and kept on crashing, unfortunately the sky replacement was even worse at kicking one off for no reason.

OP
OP
Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
marinyork said:
Not fancy a ride in the wind/rain/snow?

Some routers are unstable. Where I used to live my router was notoriously unstable and kept on crashing, unfortunately the sky replacement was even worse at kicking one off for no reason.
It has only been the last couple of days, but it does pee you off when you want to argue / chat with your virtual friends !

Slim

Über Member
I've had loads of problems with TalkTalk. If it wasn't for the fact that we rely on the free international calls in the package I would have cancelled the contract ages ago.

A month or so ago I spoke to their call centres on three continents in one day just to get them to acknowledge that their server needed resetting.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
This is slightly OT, but this fred is read by the peeps who might know the answer. If you want to put a word or phrase in a post and then "cross it out" so that people know what you put first, how do you do it please?

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Speicher said:
This is slightly OT, but this fred is read by the peeps who might know the answer. If you want to put a word or phrase in a post and then "cross it out" so that people know what you put first, how do you do it please?

Notice the S button below the Fonts box on the toolbar on the Reply window - use that. My first time is the S above. ;)

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I use Tiscali. Don't normally have problems at all. Their server failed twice recently so I couldn't connect. Bit irritating as I couldn't access my e-mails but it was sorted fairly quickly on both occasions.

For some reason I haven't figured out yet the one daughter appears to somehow switch off the router and the only fix is to reboot the whole machine. I think there should be a software "restart the router" switch somewhere but I can't find it. And I'm not sure what daughter does to screw it in the first place. Irritating but not life threatening.

domtyler

Über Member
twentysix by twentyfive said:
Notice the S button below the Fonts box on the toolbar on the Reply window - use that. My first time is the S above. ;)

Do please be careful if you are planning on using this extremely powerful tool. A lot of folks on here have found their accounts have been frozen or even deleted after using it. I think someone may even have died.

col

Legendary Member
Iv been running xp with ie for four years now,and had no problems at all,untill last week,when in the middle of something,it just turned itself off.This has happened twice now,on asking a knowledgable mate,he said xp might need reinstaling,as it may have become unstable?

domtyler

Über Member
If you are using ADSL then stability is related to the speed of the line and the distance of your house from the exchange. This is to say, if you are near to the exchange (<1 mile) and running at a lowish speed (1-2 mbps) then your stability will be very high. If you are a long way from the exchange (several miles) and have a high speed line, say 8mbps, then your stability will be a lot lower.

If you are suffering stability issues you can ask to have your speed limited to something below what you currently have, and/or change your router to something like a Thompson Speedtouch which are renowned for their high stability even in adverse operating conditions such as high speed line, noisy line and large distance from exchange.

domtyler

Über Member
col said:
Iv been running xp with ie for four years now,and had no problems at all,untill last week,when in the middle of something,it just turned itself off.This has happened twice now,on asking a knowledgable mate,he said xp might need reinstaling,as it may have become unstable?

Have you been fucking with the settings? ;)

col

Legendary Member
It did seem to all start when my son downloaded a few free mobile phone games,iv used edonkey in the passed,now uninstalled,and limewire for music,and never had problems,i havnt changed any settings,as far as i know?

Top Bottom