Concerns about what you eat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
wutz in it for Yuka?

No idea.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
At 66 I am now pretty tired of most things interactive, or recommendations as to what is best for me, or how to be or how to act, think, etc. Don’t care for Alexa connected devices, don’t do Twitter, Facebook, Strava, Instagram, TikTok, Snapchat, Pinterest, etc. My one vice of the last couple of years, and arguably enjoyable, has been CycleChat, which I traded all current news sites for. After all, in todays world you really CAN'T escape hearing “the latest” anyway. Even our pandemic quarantines couldn’t stop us from hearing it.

Back on topic, as for food, we all know the do's and don'ts by now, (or should) so no app needed for pretty much anything on that topic. I do appreciate a basic weather app, exercise tracker (non-interactive) and one that tells me when various public transportation is available (buses, trains, etc.) But for those that like or appreciate any/all of the other stuff above, I’m happy for you/them. I never have liked being told what to do by anyone or any organisation.

I do believe in the moderation route for most things combined with common sense. Moderation never worked for me with drink, so I put an end to that around 18 years ago. Oh well, I suppose we can't have everything. I can be happy with some of most things, that’s pretty great on a full life level! Life has been good to me so farrrrrr… sing it with me! 🎵🎶🎵

simongt

Guru
Also, Kayakerles, at 69, I don't recall any such thing as 'sell by' / 'use by' dates when I were lad, especially on canned goods. We used the 'three test system'; if it looks okay, smell it. If it smells okay, taste it. If it tastes okay, eat it - ! :okay: And I'm still alive and kicking - ! :rofl:

D

Deleted member 1258

Also, Kayakerles, at 69, I don't recall any such thing as 'sell by' / 'use by' dates when I were lad, especially on canned goods. We used the 'three test system'; if it looks okay, smell it. If it smells okay, taste it. If it tastes okay, eat it - ! :okay: And I'm still alive and kicking - ! :rofl:

I still use that method now.

iandg

Legendary Member
I didn't used to have any concern regarding diet. Mostly vegetarian with occasional fish, cook from fresh for majority of meals. I do like my carbs tho' and eat a lot of pasta, rice and bread. Reading a lot about anti-inflammatory diet recently having been diagnosed with polymyalgia and started long term prednisolone treatment so need to start thinking about reducing carbohydrate intake due to risk of type 2 diabetes.

Last edited:
Good morning,

I know that it can be fun to mock things, but I also remember the days when pretty much all food sold in the UK came without any nutritional information on the packing. When laws were introduced to require it there were "nanny state" cries, yet I now almost rely on it.

So I was not immediately dismissive of Yuka, but the big issues raised when I went and looked up Yuka was is the team behind the app competent to make dietary judgements, https://yuka.io/en/team/?

The conclusion that I came to was no.

We all know that a chocolate bar contains a lot of fat and sugar, except of course they don't, I am currently commuting around 18miles each way 5 days a week, so a Mars bar is almost essential rather than a treat.

Borrowing from their home page
cal1.png
Seems to confirm my concern that they are simply working on a very trivial basis of something like fat bad, grains good.

Bye

Ian

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
wutz in it for Yuka?

money

As someone who is living with diabetes one of the big things I realised is a lot of the foods that I was fed which were supposed to be good for me really weren't.

Porridge is awful for me. Makes my blood sugar shoot up. I still have it because I love it, but I always get hungry after eating it. Something with a lot of fat is better for me, because it makes me eat less.

It's not as simple as self-control. There are foods which are commonly marketed as healthy which are anything but.

Mike_P

Guru
Being a coeliac shopping is invariably disappointing, best Gluten Free breaded cod is the Co-Ops but guess which was the only fish sold out this morning. It's annoying how many products have wheat on them for no obvious purpose when the same product under a different brand does not. Annoyingly many specific products are sky high on sugar so I try to cut back where possible but do add honey to the incredibly expensive cereal as it had a great smoothing effect on a rough feeling throat.

D

Deleted member 1258

Indeed. And there's also 'the knife method', i.e., if there's a mouldy or dodgy looking mark on your grub, cut it off and eat the rest - ! :rofl:

My Mum used to do that in the 1950's-1960's, I haven't done it for years.

Top Bottom