Concerns about what you eat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I found a new app called " Yuka". It tells you if the food item you want to buy is good for you or not. Once you have downloaded the app on your phone, scan the bar code and the app does rates it as : excellent, good or poor.
I tried it on it on the packet of porridge this morning and it says: Excellent.

I agree your porridge will be excellent 👍🏻

Mo1959

Legendary Member
A friend told me about the app and I use it occasionally to check stuff, especially given I am inclined to live on ready meals. I try to go for the healthier ones and several of them have come out as being good or excellent so maybe it's not too bad. :laugh: It's good that it tells you how bad some of the additives are and others that are of no real concern.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not especially, I’ve got better, probably should eat less sugary stuff (I did choc and sweet free lent abd now have Easter goodies :rolleyes:). No longer eat meat.
Eating a big pre ride bowl of unsweetened porridge as i type.
I’m capable of reading nutrition info on packages without an app!

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Sounds ok but I think all adults should know what's good for you and what's not. I know I eat crap sometimes but I'm aware of it, I just have the will power of a crack addict. Very few foods are actually bad for you, if eaten in contextually the right proportions. Likewise, no food is actually good for you if you eat too much of it or otherwise don't have a balanced diet to go with it. If you ate nothing but fruit, you'd arguably be at similar risk of diabetes than if you ate junk food all day

winjim

Smash the cistern
My wife always starts the day with a mouthful of Willy's.

20220423_110218.jpg

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
It won't be much use for anything without a bar code then. Like fruit & veg bought from a market stall or some homemade soup.

And does it point out that your porridge won't be quite as good if you cover it in chocolate sauce?

presta

Guru
They claim to be transparent, but they don't publish the criteria by which they decide which foodstuffs are healthy and which ones aren't. :rolleyes:

My diet spreadsheet uses the Nutrient Profile Score devised by the FSA, and calculates the score for each individual foodstuff as well as an overall score for my whole diet. In addition it also calculates how well my diet meets the Nova criteria for unprocessed food content, and calculates the level of each vitamin and nutrient using the USDA database.

What originally piqued my interest in diet 9 years ago was a bowel tumour, I was never much interested in cookery so it was payback for years of eating an unhealthy diet, or so I thought. What made me even more interested was making a spreadsheet, and finding that my diet wasn't anything like as unhealthy as you might think from my lack of home cookery. It really isn't that difficult to meet the main criteria for fat, salt, sugar, fibre, fruit & veg, processed meat etc without cooking everything from scratch, if you're selective about what you buy, but the Nova criteria are quite different, instead of focusing on macro nutrients like most systems, they just look at the level of processing. That makes a big difference to my diet, because I eat a lot of bread, and bread is either very healthy by the standards of the FSA NPS, or very unhealthy and ultra-processed by the standards of Nova. Conversely, olive oil fares well under Nova, but not the FSA.

In the last 5 or 6 years I've switched to about 70% of my dinners cooked from scratch and 30% processed, but hasn't made a great deal of difference to the data, except for an increase in fat due to the olive oil in everything. I'd like to find a way of cutting down on the bread, but it's difficult replacing such a huge quantity of calories and fibre without switching to another cooked meals each day instead of sandwiches.

Last edited:
having recently discovered a new cafe stop for club rides that boasts 3/4lb of pork in every sausage roll, i think i'll give this app a miss, plus there's no barcodes so it must by default be excellent, certainly tastes excellent :tongue:

Top Bottom