How much do you eat per day?

How many calories do you consume per day, on average?

• Sub 2000kcal - I run on fresh air!

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • 2001-3000kcal

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • 3001-4000kcal

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • 4001-5000kcal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5001-6000kcal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6001kcal plus - food intake of a small family

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon in Sweden

I'm curious about people's calorie consumption.

I'm 2.03m, 102kg and cycle about 14-20hrs a week at teh moment. Mixture of gravel and road, 400km per week or thereabouts.

I've always been inefficient on food consumption. I've met people close to my height that seem to eat almost nothing. The only way I can reduce my food intake to that of a normal person is to cease sporting activity. Even then, I'm still about 3500kcal.

So just now, I'm 6000kcal plus. I've got a 180km gravel ride to do tomorrow. I expect I'll be close to 9000kcal by the time I'm done.

The photo is of my dinner (meal 6 of the day). It's in a 30cm diameter fruit bowl, for scale.

And I'm actually losing weight very slowly (about 1kg every 2 months, only fat loss as I'm maintaining basic strength training with about 1hr a week in the gym split over 2-3 days).

Are there any other high metabolism types here or are you all well-oiled, super efficient touring machines?

_nc_ohc=sD89Yv7Dl_UAX8AX-gq&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.jpg

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'm 172cm and 75kg, 68 years old and normally eat ( I guess) somewhere in the 2-3000 calories range daily.

In the last couple of years I've noticed how much better I feel eating smaller meals and having healthy snacks before and during exercise.

If I'm cycling 40 miles or more the challenge is to eat enough to keep up my energy without feeling uncomfortably stuffed, so it's bananas and flapjacks on a ride. No bread or pasta.

Gunk

Guru
I'm curious about people's calorie consumption.

I'm 2.03m, 102kg and cycle about 14-20hrs a week at teh moment. Mixture of gravel and road, 400km per week or thereabouts.

I've always been inefficient on food consumption. I've met people close to my height that seem to eat almost nothing. The only way I can reduce my food intake to that of a normal person is to cease sporting activity. Even then, I'm still about 3500kcal.

So just now, I'm 6000kcal plus. I've got a 180km gravel ride to do tomorrow. I expect I'll be close to 9000kcal by the time I'm done.

The photo is of my dinner (meal 6 of the day). It's in a 30cm diameter fruit bowl, for scale.

And I'm actually losing weight very slowly (about 1kg every 2 months, only fat loss as I'm maintaining basic strength training with about 1hr a week in the gym split over 2-3 days).

Are there any other high metabolism types here or are you all well-oiled, super efficient touring machines?

View attachment 698040

What’s that, camels penis?

I have no idea

I was told a few years that I was pre-diabetic and should go on a course
which I finished a few months ago due to delays and stuff due to the pandemic

On that we were encouraged to look at our food intake in several ways - especially the old 5-a-day in fruit and veg (BTW I vary between 4 and 6 - more likely 6 most days)

but even then I couldn;t tell how many calories

but - to the point of why I decided to comment
anyone who wants to check what they eat then we were told about an app called "myfitnesspal"
good thing about that was that anything you buy from a shop/supermarket that has a barcode - then you just scan the barcode in the app and tell it how much you had and it works out all the nutrition info for you

I did check literally everything I ate for a whole week - including weighing everything when necessary - well worth doing in terms of knowledge

I did see a programme about eating properly some years ago and one of the things it said - confirmed by proper authorities - if that exercise can be a problem as people often eat more after exercise than they would have done without - and end up with more calories as a result.

anyway - as I said - no idea

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I did see a programme about eating properly some years ago and one of the things it said - confirmed by proper authorities - if that exercise can be a problem as people often eat more after exercise than they would have done without - and end up with more calories as a result.

I find this, particularly after cycling but not so much after running for some reason.

D

Deleted member 26715

I'm 53 and take a soupcon of fresh mountain spring water and a gulp of fresh air, and put on half a stone. :banghead:
Are you my wife?

OP
OP
Jon in Sweden

Jon in Sweden

What’s that, camels penis?

Haha! No - some sort of fatty Swedish sausage. I usually eat quite cleanly, but this was reduced and looked appealing.

Wow, that’s a lot!

That’s what Mark Beaumont was eating in his ride around the world but he was covering 240 miles a day (16hours of riding).

Mark Beaumont is quite a big guy too, if I recall correctly (around 90kg). I just think I'm at the extreme end of the calorie burn spectrum. He's clearly a lot more efficient than me.

I am very warm, a lot of time. I always have been. I think that excessive exothermic tendency causes me to burn more energy than most. Though I revert to a more typical baseline if I'm not exercising.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I don’t know, I don’t count calories. I’m 1.80m and 69kg, 13.9% body fat according to my weekly weigh in on my body composition scales. Weight pretty stable.

I don’t diet, and tend to take the approach of fuelling my workouts, to get the most out of them. Your calorie consumption seems high, but you are over 2m and weigh a lot at 100kg. Thus just those numbers will mean you burn more calories than if you were lighter, and shorter.

Do you feel fit and healthy and not carrying lots of body fat? What do you want to achieve body wise? (If anything)

Last edited:
Top Bottom