Concerns of an unfit person

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
A lot of the time both size and definition appear to have increased when weight (fat) loss has taken place. It's really pretty hard to increase muscle mass through cycling alone.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think it is too hard to say what is and what is not the case in this way. Eg. What is to say you wouldn't have developed the same musculature had you been pushing smaller gears?

After quite a long time of having the same degree of musculature on my legs (i.e. not much as all, I am skinny), I did notice an increase in both mass and definition when I transitioned from the time trial season to the hill climb season. But who can say what that is due to exactly?
Whereas I am the opposite ... I have naturally big calf muscles. It took a serious illness to make them wither away, and as soon as I started hill walking and cycling again, they came back!

To a lesser extent, the same applies to the other muscles in my legs. They respond very quickly to training. It doesn't matter how little I do - short of lying in bed for 6-8 weeks (which is what did last year), I develop quite big legs.

VamP

Banned
Sure, that's the only practical way to measure muscles, but muscle volume is affected by the volume of blood in the muscle too, I measure about half inch difference thigh circumference before and after ride.

I don't think my thigh circumference has increased since I started cycling, not by more than about an inch on average. YMMV.

OP
OP
T

tpw123

Although I'm still getting slight issues, I've been able to reduce the discomfort to 1/10th of what I was previously experiencing. You're all going to hate my guts, but I'm 99% sure it was due to really uneven tire pressure and one tire being pretty deflated. But every stupid mistake is a lesson learned and now the only thing standing between me and fitness is my own dismal willpower. Thanks for all of your help guys!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Although I'm still getting slight issues, I've been able to reduce the discomfort to 1/10th of what I was previously experiencing. You're all going to hate my guts, but I'm 99% sure it was due to really uneven tire pressure and one tire being pretty deflated. But every stupid mistake is a lesson learned and now the only thing standing between me and fitness is my own dismal willpower. Thanks for all of your help guys!
YAY!

Top Bottom