Concussion and long term effects

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In July I had an accident that involved me going through a car window on my way home from work. I do not remember the accident at all or the half hour preceeding it. My earliest memory is being in a and e about 3 hours after the accident. I have hazy memories of the next 5 hours after that. Apparently I was asking the same questions every 5 minutes for about 5 hours.
Since the accident I have had MRI and CT scans and nothing too untoward has been discovered, but I am still getting headaches (starting in the back of the neck and moving forward), have problems with my memory, occasional balance problems and problems concentrating on things when I am reading. All of the above are pretty much signs of concussion and they are normally gone within 3 months. I have seen my doctor and she has said it is just a matter of waiting. I am find that very difficult. As I also fractured my neck and back in the accident, I have not been able to do much. I get quite moody because I want to go out on my bike and get the body working again but cant do that, although the last month or so I have come to the conclusion that I have lost my fitness and I just need to do as I am told and not rush things.
Has anyone else had long term effects from concussion? How long did they go on and what did you do to relieve the symptoms?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sorry to read about your slow rate of progress, Martin. I don't know much about concussion so I can't help you there.

I was wondering whether you would be able to use a gym bike to try and maintain your fitness, without the worry of having another accident or a fall? If not, can you walk properly at the moment? Before I was able to get back on my bike after my illness, I regained my fitness by doing a lot of walking. I started off doing short, slow, level walks and soon built up to fast 5-10 mile hilly walks. By the time that I got back on my bike I was able to do hilly 20 milers after just a couple of rides. It's also very good for the mind as well as the body ...

I hope things improve for you soon!

vickster

Legendary Member
Can the lawyers arrange for you to get some counselling with a psychologist to help deal with the after effects on you. Or to see a neurologist to discuss the effects of the concussion

Might be worth asking?

Good luck :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
Can take upto six months for the brain to stop "bouncing around" inside the skull. As it slows you'll notice the difference.
Getting annoyed at not being able to do things you did beforehand is part & parcel of it. Accepting the fact that you'll have to wait will help.

Paul Bromley

I was told mine would take about a year to clear up. I only showed signs of BPPV, essentially vertigo, as a result of hitting my head as a result of a cardiac arrest

It did clear up in about 6 months but I did have a single episode about a month ago, so not completely gone at almost a year now

ColinJ

Reading this has made me wonder whether I suffered concussion myself when I collapsed 2 years ago! I blacked out and definitely smacked my head on the floor when I fell because I had a carpet burn to my face when I woke up. I had so many other things to worry about at the time that I pretty much ignored the headaches and confusion, but I was muddle-headed for months. I put it down to reduced blood oxygen from my clotted lungs at the time ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pumpkin the robot
Sorry to read about your slow rate of progress, Martin. I don't know much about concussion so I can't help you there.

I was wondering whether you would be able to use a gym bike to try and maintain your fitness, without the worry of having another accident or a fall? If not, can you walk properly at the moment? Before I was able to get back on my bike after my illness, I regained my fitness by doing a lot of walking. I started off doing short, slow, level walks and soon built up to fast 5-10 mile hilly walks. By the time that I got back on my bike I was able to do hilly 20 milers after just a couple of rides. It's also very good for the mind as well as the body ...

I hope things improve for you soon!

I have just invested in a set of rollers to get my legs spinning again. At least it will give me something to do! I am not bothered about my fitness now, I know it has gone and know I will be starting from scratch. I did aqua aerobics for the first time this week and a bit of swimming and it took me a couple of days to get over it!

Can the lawyers arrange for you to get some counselling with a psychologist to help deal with the after effects on you. Or to see a neurologist to discuss the effects of the concussion

Might be worth asking?

Good luck :smile:

The lawyer has booked me an appointment to see a neurologist, I will ask about seeing a psychologist, it may help to just talk to someone about everything. I struggle to sleep and I think a lot of it is to do with the things going around in my head.

I fractured my skull coming off the bike and the effects took about 12 months to subside, wooziness, low blood pressure and some of the other things you mentioned. it does clear up with time.

classic33

Leg End Member
I struggle to sleep and I think a lot of it is to do with the things going around in my head.
Got a similar issue myself, sleepwise, 2-3 hours for over a year.
Head is awkward on a pillow, twisted off to the left. So getting to sleep is awkward as a result. Wake up and the head & neck is sore due to moving whilst asleep.
You'll have all this playing on your mind as well, making sleep hard to come by. Is this causing that, is that it. It gets easier with time and if you're able stop thinking about "What Ifs".

Last edited:

Paul Bromley

Hi Colin

Yes it could well be.

I had the carpet burn to the face. Like you say all the other things going on make you suspect that first. I'm an engineer and I don't like coincidences so my first response was it must be the heart meds. when the GP sent me to see the ENT people at the hospital I wasn't convinced so I was really surprised at their conclusion. Although when the GP mentioned this BPPV I had to agree that the symptoms fitted my experience

Rollers - Don't you have to be careful on them period !

ColinJ

Hi Colin

Yes it could well be.

I had the carpet burn to the face. Like you say all the other things going on make you suspect that first. I'm an engineer and I don't like coincidences so my first response was it must be the heart meds. when the GP sent me to see the ENT people at the hospital I wasn't convinced so I was really surprised at their conclusion. Although when the GP mentioned this BPPV I had to agree that the symptoms fitted my experience
I have an engineering background too. When I became ill, and suffering that (possible) concussion, I kept telling the doctors and nurses that my breathing problems were due to inhaling mould spores from a rotten potato that I'd found lurking at the back of a cupboard! They kept looking at me as if I were mad, and I could not understand why they didn't agree with me ... :laugh:

Top Bottom