Condor Fratello

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I very very nearly got one before I got my Aravis.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Fratello at all. I reckon it must tick all the boxes as an audax bike and should be on anyone's shortlist. Test ride one if possible and see what you think.

I only went for the Aravis because I preferred my money going to Byercycles rather than Condor. I couldn't choose between the bikes!

joggingbob

I am also considering a Fratello for longer rides and commuting, (currently use a Trek MTB). I am also in a quandry - whether to get a lighter road bike but swayed by the steel frame for strength and the ability for mudguards and panniers.

The press reviews from a couple of years ago were positive.
I understand that Tynan has a Fratello and on his posts appears very happy with the bike.

Greenbank

Über Member
They're lovely bikes.

I recommend the Fratello (and the Aravis Audax) to people looking for an Audax bike. This also makes them perfect bikes for commuting as they've got rack bosses and clearance for mudguards, but still pretty nippy.

I use an Aravis for hilly Audaxes and I would have got a Fratello but I've already got a Condor Tempo and, for no real reason, I dislike having more than one bike from any one manufacturer.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Mine is due to arrive in 11 days, 22.3 hours time :angry: - no that I am concerned. :girl:

Here's the really daft bit - I haven't ridden one yet :becool: :angry:. I've seen the frame, talked to folk who know them, have them, read lots of good reports (like this) and they do them with SRAM Rival, so have taken the plunge.

Experience so far is that Condor are good to deal with - though they are in the midst of refurbishment and things seem a little chaotic.

I'll post impressions when I get it :tongue: .... though I'm not really a post-impressionist :blush:

skwerl

joggingbob said:
I am also considering a Fratello for longer rides and commuting, (currently use a Trek MTB). I am also in a quandry - whether to get a lighter road bike but swayed by the steel frame for strength and the ability for mudguards and panniers.

The press reviews from a couple of years ago were positive.
I understand that Tynan has a Fratello and on his posts appears very happy with the bike.

consider the Agio. I was umm'ing and ah'ing between Fratello and Agio and went for the lighter, more race-inspired Agio that still has guard and rack mounts

skwerl

scoosh said:
Mine is due to arrive in 11 days, 22.3 hours time :biggrin: - no that I am concerned. :biggrin:

Here's the really daft bit - I haven't ridden one yet :biggrin: :eek:. I've seen the frame, talked to folk who know them, have them, read lots of good reports (like this) and they do them with SRAM Rival, so have taken the plunge.

Experience so far is that Condor are good to deal with - though they are in the midst of refurbishment and things seem a little chaotic.

I'll post impressions when I get it :biggrin: .... though I'm not really a post-impressionist :rolleyes:

when you get it tell me if you agree that's SRAM's decision to move the front mech trim to the outer ring (was on innner ring until 2009) makes no sense.

joggingbob

Skwerl, decisions decisions! Did you ride both the Agio and the Fratello and notice the weight difference or handling ? This is my first road bike since a teenager so doubt that I would notice a difference on test rides between the two. I have ridden the Fratello and it was good but difficult to know instantly what to look / feel for and probably wouldn't feel a difference between steel and alu. Apart from the frame material - alu/carbon v steel/carbon are there other differences between the two? (I had quick look at the geometries and didn't spot anything).

des.o

Veteran
I'm no bike expert, but have had a fratello for 3/4 years, so maybe my thoughts will be helpful. Have done about 15,000miles on it - everything from commuting, to sportives, to day rides and 300km jaunts. I really can't say anything major to fault it - comfortable every ride and fair play to Condor, their set up was excellent. The only maintenance I've done is the standard cassette/chain/tyre changes and the occasional clean and lube. Never even had to adjust the gears or position. Mine is the Veloce version with open pros, everything else standard in the £1k set up. I'm even happy with Condor's bog standard saddle.

Can't really compare it to a full on race set up as I don't have one - but the frame is significantly more comfortable (if less fun) than my old 501 fixed, but the ride a little more lazy if that makes sense. That said, it keeps up with the bunch in pacy rides if ridden hard. Its also a noticeably nicer ride than my mate's Agio.

The only negatives I have are that it doesn't handle particularly well with heavy panniers ie its clearly an audax rather than touring machine and that in my personal opinion, Condor seem to have been making them more ugly with each annual redesign - I don't like the new graphics or colours and the more sloping top tube. But that's a personal thing. For long rides/audax use I'd definitely recommend, but would be tempted to get something sportier for shorter rides (but that's probably more curiosity than dissatisfaction). Hope that's helpful.

joggingbob

des.o, thanks that is balanced and helpful although your final note i.e the curiosity is the quandry I have. My head states the Fratello makes sense for my needs of commuting on London's pot holed roads and longer distance, (all relative of course - not long distance for most), which will be quick enough for me and comfortable. The flip side is will I regret not opting for a lighter and quicker model? although I do not intend to race or club rides etc, (the shorter rides of audax does appeal).

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
joggingbob, welcome!

Few years back I was in a similar quandry, Giant TCR1 or Thorn 853 Audax, not unlike the Fratello steel. I opted for the Giant as I was doing club riding and the occasional TT. Some years later I realise the Thorn would have been the better bet for all-round riding and my general usage. Race-bikes are great for fast stuff, unloaded, good weather. But outside of that they can loose some of their magic. The Thorn could take full mudguards and light loads and be more comfortable for longer days out. I had not thought that the Thorn could have made zippier with lighter wheels and race tyres which I ended-up adding to the Giant anyway.
In terms of outright speed, I doubt there's much in it really... not for a flubber guts like me anyhow!

I'd have a Fratello tomorrow if I was choosing again.

joggingbob

Fab Foodie, thanks that has helped. As you have stated I could upgrade the wheels later, (maxed out the budget to do it now). No doubt I will get a response later of "n+1" :-)

OP
OP
Bugner

Bugner

Thanks for all the posts. I think I will be putting an order in for a Fratello in a couple of weeks time. Going to wait until Condor re-opens with their bigger showroom and arrange a test ride.

skwerl

joggingbob said:
Skwerl, decisions decisions! Did you ride both the Agio and the Fratello and notice the weight difference or handling ? This is my first road bike since a teenager so doubt that I would notice a difference on test rides between the two. I have ridden the Fratello and it was good but difficult to know instantly what to look / feel for and probably wouldn't feel a difference between steel and alu. Apart from the frame material - alu/carbon v steel/carbon are there other differences between the two? (I had quick look at the geometries and didn't spot anything).

I didn't but I already own a steel Potenza. The zero replica tubing is similar to the fratello's 14.5 so I have a good idea of what a fratello will feel like. I went for the Agio as I wanted to try an alu bike and it's lighter. The fratello will be a comfier ride, I'm sure and will last longer than an Agio. If you want something for long rides that will last many years go for the fratello

joggingbob

Thanks skwerl for the info and your views.

Bugner, Condor have been very helpful so far but would recommend to try and avoid, if you can, their busier times i.e. lunchtimes and Saturdays. Good luck.

Top Bottom