Cone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there

Following on from my previous post about my back wheel, when I tighten up the nut (I think its called a cone) on one side of the back wheel and the quick release on the other side, there is a gritty noise. What could cause this? Also, would it be a good idea to buy a cone wrench?

Thanks in advance for your help

J

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
That will be grit in the bearing. Needs to be stripped, cleaned, greased and reassembled. Its not difficult to do. And yes a cone spanner is a good idea.

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
That will be grit in the bearing. Needs to be stripped, cleaned, greased and reassembled. Its not difficult to do. And yes a cone spanner is a good idea.
Thanks. Do you have any recommendations for a cone spanner? Preferably one that fits all road bikes if such a thing exists!

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
I don't know if they are all the same size.... Im sure someone will come along with a n answer soon on that though.

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
I presume that a cone spanner allows you to tighten the cone part of the through axle at the same time as tightening the quick release; it just makes it easier - is that correct?

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
I sense a bit of confusion. I think the nut you refer to is the nut in the qr skewer, that's not a cone.

The cone is in the hub, where the bearings sit. I am not sure that the type of wheels you have are cup and cone.
I don't know. Its a Bianchi road bike

C R

Guru
I presume that a cone spanner allows you to tighten the cone part of the through axle at the same time as tightening the quick release; it just makes it easier - is that correct?
No, the cone spanner is used to adjust the bearings in a cup and cone hub. The nut in the skewer is adjusted by hand.

raggydoll

Über Member
I sense a bit of confusion. I think the nut you refer to is the nut in the qr skewer, that's not a cone.

The cone is in the hub, where the bearings sit. I am not sure that the type of wheels you have are cup and cone.

That's how I read it too.

.... when I tighten up the nut (I think its called a cone) on one side of the back wheel and the quick release on the other side, there is a gritty noise.....

Do you mean when you tighten the nut on the end of the skewer?
If so, the 'gritty' noise is probably just the noise of it tightening. You are tightening metal on metal to keep your wheel on so you will always hear a bit of noise. Could also be a little bit of grit on your dropout and/or skewer.

1624531530108.png

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Very unusual to have a gritty noise when tightening the QR. Are you sure it’s coming from the axle?

There are usually two nuts side by side, one is to adjust the cone which it is part of and the other to lock in in position.
There is another type which has just one, the cone, for adjusting. The QR then secures it against the frame once locked as here:

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Give it all a good clean, the skewer, frame and wheel. Mine can sound gritty probably because there's grit :laugh:
When you dismantle the skewer, do it carefully so the springs don't go flying

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Very unusual to have a gritty noise when tightening the QR. Are you sure it’s coming from the axle?

There are usually two nuts side by side, one is to adjust the cone which it is part of and the other to lock in in position.
There is another type which has just one, the cone, for adjusting. The QR then secures it against the frame once locked.
The gritty noise is when I tighten the opposite end of the quick release - it looks like a cone with ridge bits if that helps!

C R

Guru

There is another type which has just one, the cone, for adjusting. The QR then secures it against the frame once locked.
Is the skewer nut called a cone too? The gritty noise could be the serrations of the skewer nut fretting a bit as the lever is tightened.

ETA, beaten to it by @vickster

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Give it all a good clean, the skewer, frame and wheel. Mine can sound gritty probably because there's grit :laugh:
When you dismantle the skewer, do it carefully so the springs don't go flying
Absolutely. If I had to get spare springs, where would I get them?

Top Bottom